• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cool tasker setup using headset, Bluetooth together

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Wanted to share a pretty cool tasker setup I made.

If your not one of those lucky people that have the fancy new car or truck with hands free Bluetooth, you may like this
My truck has only an aux in jack so my music sounds pretty good from my phone using player pro. But I still wanted the hands free to be safe for texting and phone calls

I got a Motorola Roadster gadget. For those who might not know what that is, it's a hands free blue tooth device that has its own built in speaker and also can retransmit via fm. The sound quality it terrible on the speaker and only a little better through fm. Nothing compared to using the aux jack

So my dilemma was how to get the best of both worlds.

So I created a couple of tasker profiles. Basically, what happens is, when I plug my aux cable into my phone A bunch of things happen behind the scenes.

My Bluetooth phone power turns on, connects to my roadster device, starts my player pro app (which immediately begins playing music), my moto speak app loads up (which gives me the hands free texting and phone use) and I'm good to go. When I unplug the headset cable, Bluetooth shuts off, all apps close, all is well.

I had to disable Bluetooth media in the settings for the roadster sync initially, because then the music would default to the Bluetooth but I wanted it to go through headset because of the better sound for music.

There's a couple of cool features that this setup brings too. The headset music playing automatically silences whenever any phone calls or texting come through, so I can hear and speak to the roadster device. The roadster speaker is perfect for voice commands and phone calls.

If I want to use navigation, it still silences music and plays through my stereo too.

I even took it a step further. I was sick of having to turn the phone screen on to skip a song so I made another tasker profile that can skip or go back a song just by tilting the phone., and it works with the screen off so I don't waste any battery power with all the wake locks
This profile also automatically enables and disables with the plugging and unplugging of the headset cable. I generally like to keep my profiles disabled and enable them when needed.

I just think it's really cool how our Bluetooth and headset audio can work seamlessly together like this and how tasker is such a powerful program.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones