• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coolest feature you've found?

cmusciano

Jul 6, 2010
With all the concerns about errors and issues with the S3, I thought we could shift to a more positive focus. To that end, what's the coolest thing you've discovered with your S3 that you didn't know about before you got the phone?

For me, I was delighted to see that when you open the video player, the thumbnails for the videos are live: they all play a little loop from the video, all at once. It was a startling effect, and just goes to show the power of the processor, running eight simultaneous video loops at once.

What little thing did you find in your phone?

I just discovered the briefing setting in the alarm clock. It plays your alarm ringtone for a few seconds and then computer reads the current time, current weather and the day's forecast, any appointments you have that day, and the top news headline. Reminds me of the first Iron Man movie when JARVIS pops online in the morning to tell Tony the time and current surfing conditions. :p

Upvote 0
I just discovered the briefing setting in the alarm clock. It plays your alarm ringtone for a few seconds and then computer reads the current time, current weather and the day's forecast, any appointments you have that day, and the top news headline. Reminds me of the first Iron Man movie when JARVIS pops online in the morning to tell Tony the time and current surfing conditions. :p

it does that? how come nobody say anything

Reactions: Stormlight
Upvote 0
Not sure if this counts as I knew the Galaxy supported NFC, but I had no idea you could buy NFC tags to simplify tasks.
I use them everywhere now! They're so useful :D

As for the phone itself, I pretty much knew what to expect as I watched the introductory video and a bunch of others showing it off before I bought it.

It was a pleasant surprise to find out that smart stay works perfectly!

Reactions: faz1964
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A few tips that you may already know;

-Place a finger on the lock screen and turn the device to landscape for a shortcut to the camera.

-When viewing a text or contact and need to call that person just hold the phone up to your ear.

-PIP video viewing by tapping the box in the lower right corner of the video while playing.

-Swipe contact left to send a text, right to call.

That's my .02. Hopefully I'll have more to come.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this counts as I knew the Galaxy supported NFC, but I had no idea you could buy NFC tags to simplify tasks.

As for the phone itself, I pretty much knew what to expect as I watched the introductory video and a bunch of others showing it off before I bought it.

What app are u using? When I scan my wife's smart tags it just brings up a line of coding lol

Upvote 0
I can never get that camera shortcut to work from the lockscreen :thinking:

Have you enabled it in settings > security > lock screen options?

You need to press and hold part of the screen then rotate fairly slowly into landscape mode. If you have a password set you still need to enter the code.

Upvote 0

Can you give me an idea of the kinds of things you are using them for? Also, can you program one tag to do multiple tasks? For example, can you program a tag to turn on your bluetooth and then launch Slacker? That would be helpful in the car.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can you give me an idea of the kinds of things you are using them for? Also, can you program one tag to do multiple tasks? For example, can you program a tag to turn on your bluetooth and then launch Slacker? That would be helpful in the car.

Thanks!

Yeah one NFC tag can do multiple things.

I posted what I use them for in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=570565

If you buy some make sure you don't buy "Ultralight" tags as they only support tags about 40 bytes in length which isn't long enough to do much. NTAG203 ones have the best range and support about 150 bytes, which is plenty for what I need them for!

Upvote 0
I like that when I am connected to my home network the phone automatically searches for computers and displays thumbnails of pictures and music on those computers so I can surf those pics and play music from the phone itself.

ALSO, I noticed the "bluray" player that popped up when I was in the music player, when I clicked it the song from my phone automatically started playing thru my bluray surround system... I didn't have to do anything else. This kinda took me by surprise because I was used to it with my apple tv and ipad but this had no setup to do, it was all automatic!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones