• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coolest feature you've found?

Im liking the screen capture feature, note though you do have to physically put your palm on the screen and gesture to the right or left but i think its easier than pressing two buttons on opposite ends of the phone -

Also like the add extra volume button when on a call next to the contact photo - seems to boost it just enough if say you were in a crowded area and cant hear the person!

S-Beam works very well too - had some friends get the phones this weekend and was able to bump and send a photo to one of them as long as both phones are have s-beam enabled -

I like the whole setup of the camera and have taken some decent photos (better than my Evo 3D by far) love the burst best shot mode (8 shots and camera decides which one is best) and love how you can share directly to instagram right from photo or any other service you need to share directly to, the facial recog. thing only seems to work for my own face and never pops up with others for some reason -

The one thing that is kinda disappointing is S-Voice its very slow and rarely comes up with an answer to a question but likewise it works well for system things like play 80s music playlist etc ... but i rarely use it so its not a big deal -

Looking fwd to jellybean as it seems to fix some of the clutter and inconvience of ics - hopefully making s-voice better as well

Reactions: sboggus
Upvote 0
Here is one that drove me crazy. Under your favorites there is that frequently called list that accumulates if u call numbers from your contacts. In favorites settings>remove from favorites> select the numbers in the frequently called area and delete.
U cant delete those numbers one by one because it would permamnently delete the contact.

Upvote 0
Here is one that drove me crazy. Under your favorites there is that frequently called list that accumulates if u call numbers from your contacts. In favorites settings>remove from favorites> select the numbers in the frequently called area and delete.
U cant delete those numbers one by one because it would permamnently delete the contact.

Why did this bother you? Isn't it obsolete?

Upvote 0
I like that when I am connected to my home network the phone automatically searches for computers and displays thumbnails of pictures and music on those computers so I can surf those pics and play music from the phone itself.

ALSO, I noticed the "bluray" player that popped up when I was in the music player, when I clicked it the song from my phone automatically started playing thru my bluray surround system... I didn't have to do anything else. This kinda took me by surprise because I was used to it with my apple tv and ipad but this had no setup to do, it was all automatic!
How did you get it to display other computers on your network? (I assume you refer to other computers on the same WiFi network but perhaps you mean workgroup -- which would be way kewl).

Upvote 0
I am impressed with the HDR setting for the camera listed under "Shooting mode". When your subject has both light areas and dark areas, the camera appears to take 2 photos at different exposure values then merge them for the best overall exposure. You will note 2 images in your Gallery, the first is the conventional exposure that likely has the dark areas too dark to show much detail. The second photo will have HDR appended to the file name and shows much improved detail in the dark areas.

Upvote 0
I finally took a moment to put on headphones and go through the personal call equalization process. Who knew the S3 includes a free hearing test? The phone will test each ear with a range of tones at various volumes and frequencies and produce a custom equalization curve for each ear. You can then apply the appropriate curve based on which ear you use most often while talking on the phone. Very cool!

And as I suspected, my hearing in my right ear is worse than my left, especially at the high end. I wonder if the Jelly Bean update will extend this to include a Google Now card for local hearing aid services...

Upvote 0
I finally took a moment to put on headphones and go through the personal call equalization process. Who knew the S3 includes a free hearing test? The phone will test each ear with a range of tones at various volumes and frequencies and produce a custom equalization curve for each ear. You can then apply the appropriate curve based on which ear you use most often while talking on the phone. Very cool!

And as I suspected, my hearing in my right ear is worse than my left, especially at the high end. I wonder if the Jelly Bean update will extend this to include a Google Now card for local hearing aid services...

Where is this test?

Upvote 0
it can sync with any tv, it does not have to be a samsung. although i do have a samsung led with the allshare feature and its awesome, i did sync it up with my buddies LG tv the other day and sent some pics to his tv. it will work with any tv that has storage capabilities no matter the brand, it does not need allshare...

I typed this so fast I forgot to mention you do need an allshare cast dongle though (the most important part, haha).....sorry i had a brain freeze. I lucked out with a buddy who had one, but they will be more widely available in the upcoming weeks here. This site has them

Samsung AllShare Cast Dongle (WiFi Wireless Hub) #EAD-T10UDEG - Expansys USA

I think(think being the operative word here!) it just has to be a wifi direct compatible tv. List is here

HTH

Elbee

Upvote 0
I don't see anything funny or anything to bait you with. Just Google gorilla glass and you shall learn.

I never use any screen protector since the nexus one.

Found this link confirmed s3 has gorilla glass screen
Corning confirms Gorilla Glass on the Samsung Galaxy S3 | Ubergizmo

Well considering my phone fell between, fairly softly, between my desk and wall and got a scratch it almost has to be a troll or someone who hasnt really dropped their phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones