• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coolest feature you've found?

Love this feature. It always announces the title of the alarm first, so I renamed my daily alarm to Good Morning Eddie so every week morning when it goes off, it says "Good Morning Eddie, it is 0500am,....." Love it!

I'm so sorry, but it's not possible to love something that tells you to get out of bed at that unholy hour... ;)

Especially if it does so cheerfully and by name!

Upvote 0
OK, just spent the better part of the day going through the whole thread listing things to do when my new phone shows up Wednesday. Listed everything I thought applied to me - might save you some time if you just found this thread - like me!

I just copied/pasted as I went - so if something doesn't make sense - you're just going to have to hunt it down in here somewhere...

-When viewing a text or contact and need to call that person just hold the phone up to your ear.

-Swipe contact left to send a text, right to call.*

Settings>language and input>voice command for apps>camera*

You can also answer and reject calls w/voice

When creating a new alarm or changing am existing one, look for "alarm type" my and change that to briefing. Load 'Clock' then 'Alarm' tab.Next tap the + symbol to create a new Alarm.
Now look down where it says 'Alarm Type' and tap to select the bottom item 'Briefing'.

Love the palm swipe for screen shot, so much easier than 2 buttons at once

Another cool thing: creating custom vibration patterns for each contact. The interface for doing this is just perfect! click on Sounds>Device vibration>Create(at the bottom)

Also, taking a picture by voice is really handy, since you can steady the camera with both hands and tell the camera when to shoot.

I was really impressed with the Panorama camera mode (accessed by setting your Shooting mode to Panorama). It enables you to pan while the camera snaps photos to create stitched together panoramic photos.

A well documented feature, but the live backgrounds are really cool, I use the windmills displaying the current weather conditions (at the moment it's raining and there's water drops coming down the screen) also darkens at dusk/night etc.

Once you enable it you open the camera, you will notice a new icon on the screen a face with little waves. Now if you say shoot or one of the other words it takes a picture when u say the word. It's pretty cool, just don't say shoot on in a airplane. The google voice will not work with the voice app recognition built into the phone for some reason - you have to change it to Samsung Vlingo for those voice commands to work

The answer reject calls should work the same way, but I haven't had any luck with the answer or reject yet.

To answer calls hold the phone face up in your hand and semi close to your face and say answer and it answers the call, same for reject.

I stumbled across the "Assistive light" widget

wireless transmitting of video over wifi to my tv. Found this by accident when I clicked on a symbol whilst playing a video,

Double tap the top of the phone to get to the top of a list (ie Contacts

Is there a way to remove the "Swipe screen to unlock" text from the opening screen?
Settings, security ,lockscreen options and untick "Help text"

multi-task function. Press/hold "home" button at bottom

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...y5hbmRyb2lkLm1pbWFnZS5waG90b3JldG91Y2hpbmciXQ

1)Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Driving mode -> slide to on -> check all 7 items (including "Message Read out senders' information when new messages arrive").

2) Select S Voice -> Settings -> Message check "Show body of message".
Once I have done the above, I select "Diving mode" on from icon at the top of the pull down menu from the home screen (it goes green from grey/blue).

Settings-->developer options-->*
change windows animation scale and transition scale to off.*
Home button and lock screen are now at ludacris speed.

put on headphones and go through the personal call equalization process. Who knew the S3 includes a free hearing test? Call Settings>In-call sound EQ settings>Personalized EQ The phone will test each ear with a range of tones at various volumes and frequencies and produce a custom equalization curve for each ear. You can then apply the appropriate curve based on which ear you use most often while talking on the phone

but if I miss a text my phone vibrates when I pick it up.
That's Smart Alert under the motion settings

Small but nice feature I found: while in call log, press a contact's picture and the contact's info pops up in a small window. Scroll down for more info on the contact. Press icons to email, map location, etc.

Upvote 0
Yeah I cant get DLNA Mode to work using my S3 and my LG 42 inch either, yet no problem on my HTC sensation

I think you have to turn sharing on before DNLA will work. Settings / More Settings (under Wireless and networks) / Nearby devices / File sharing to On. Your TV should show up on the Nearby devices list in the Notifications bar. I was playing around with it and my mothers 55" LG this weekend, but I can't remember the specifics. I went into Gallery and either there was a pop up, or I had to tap the share button at the top to get the popup. The pop up asked to connect and share with the found device. I said yes and was off and running. Much more difficult than it was on my Droid X. The DX just did it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: scooter1942
Upvote 0
Dont know if this has been posted already, but I just stumbled upon something I hadnt seen after using this phone for a month.

When you open the multitask function by long pressing the home button you see a list of recent apps. I accidentally noticed that you can close these apps individually by sliding them to the left.

Small thing, but it's these small things that make this phone so great.

Reactions: TwinSac
Upvote 0
Dont know if this has been posted already, but I just stumbled upon something I hadnt seen after using this phone for a month.

When you open the multitask function by long pressing the home button you see a list of recent apps. I accidentally noticed that you can close these apps individually by sliding them to the left.

Small thing, but it's these small things that make this phone so great.
That's an ICS thing. Nothing to do with the Galaxy S3.

Upvote 0
Cool feature that I found recently...Emergency Alerts.
Go into your messaging app, then settings and scroll down to the bottom and click on Emergency Alerts to select which ones you want to receive. The options are:
Presidential Alerts (which can't be turned off)
Extreme Alerts
Severe Alerts
Amber Alerts

Now for the story...I'm driving along the other day and this "Extreme Alerts" message pops up telling me that there's a tornado watch and the alarm sound doesn't go away until I've looked at the message. Apparently it is location aware since my wife did not get the message and she was a few miles further away from the tornado that was spotted. Pretty cool feature!

Reactions: disc golfin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones