1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cooling (OC)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lewa, May 28, 2010.

1. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Android Enthusiast

Anyone know the best way to cut the plastic case for this? Also, how thin of a sheet would be needed to fit? I am planning on attempting this along with stripping the rubber coating off the battery.

Advertisement

2. lewa

lewa Member

Yikes, you gonna do it?
    See how thick the battery cover is.

For the penny heat sync: Make sure to use a penny minted before 1984. Ones starting in mid 1985 were only like 2%copper. Ones before that are like 98% copper. Sure, it will still work, but copper is ridiculously good at transferring heat.

3. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

Yeah mine is really old, I'm going to make sure I put that into the directions so everyone knows. It works pretty good. I wasgoing to use 2 pennies but I could only find one that old... and the older ones look cooler

4. lewa

lewa Member

Good good.

Just an idea...
    What about cutting out some of a pop can (really really thin metal), and just putting it between the battery and cover?

5. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

I think copper is a better choice, I think the only thing that makes a better heatsink than copper is silver... I almost tried a silver dollar but I didn't want to have to get one. The penny only sticks out as much as the camera thing does so I don't even notice it

6. lewa

lewa Member

Oh, it sticks out?...

I'd definitely be bothered by that :(
    Personally, I'd have to make an inset/flush heatsync.

7. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

Its only as far as the camera thing but yeah it does a little. Still looks cool as soon as I can get to a computer ill put up pics

8. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Android Enthusiast

Do you guys think a thin sheet of copper would work for my idea if i stripped the rubber/paint material off the battery? I hope you guys realized I meant a whole square of copper that covered the entire back of the battery surface, not just copper where the slits are. The copper draws out the heat, the slits let it out of the case/plastic.

9. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

I think its a good idea if you keep the sheet half the depth of a penny and only make it the same area of the battery it should fit with enough space for some heatsink compound. I've done a lot of reading on the subject and the heatsink compound is a must, its extreamly good at transferring heat to other things... like a piece of copper to get rid of the heat.

10. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert

So with the penny as a heatsink...what difference are you getting in temps under heavy load?

11. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

I've seen people say there Eris doesn't go below 30C mine usually sits at 25-28C it still gets hot but ive never had it go over 40C ever under super heavy use like on speaker phone and playing gameboid for 30-45 minutes and it seems to cool off a lot faster w/o having to do things like putting it in the fridge.

12. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

this is the outside

mail.google.com.jpg

this is the inside, i ran heat sink compound down to the bottom to pull up heat to the penny, heat sink compound never dries so i had to put electrical tape over it

mail.google.com2.jpg

still might try that alcohol trick too, you should post pics

Dabluest likes this.
  13. Philosophre

Philosophre Well-Known Member

i understand the thermal compound, but doesn't the electric tape hinder the heat transfer also i fear the compound pouring out of the sides.

14. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

I've read that electrical tape is thermal contuctive, even if it isn't true it doesn't seem doesn to effect it at all. And you can stop it from running out by mixing the thermal compound with a glue to harden it, also doesn't seem to have effected its ability to transfer heat

15. TJTHEBEST

TJTHEBEST Well-Known Member

Do you think that this idea will still work with a case on too?

16. chaos0422

chaos0422 Member

I don't think it would be a good idea to use a case you want the heat sink to get as much open air a possible

17. TJTHEBEST

TJTHEBEST Well-Known Member

So heres my heatsink i just made today. It doesnt seem to be pulling that much heat from my battery. Its probly because i havent put any heat sink compound on it yet though. Or because my silver dollar i have isnt actually silver but is mostly copper. Im just hoping this ends up working for me.

Attached Files:

18. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

Here's my take on it.
    Quarter was supposed to be a penny, but hand twitched with dremel in hand and made hole too big :p

Attached Files:

19. thrawn86

thrawn86 Android Enthusiast

I think its a pretty silly idea BUT if I had to do it: (you guys need to visit some PC overclocking forums)

dremel a half dozen (copper)pennies in a rough jiqsaw shape of the battery. superglue (or thermal epoxy) them together using a cardboard puzzle cutout of the battery.

use sandpaper or acetone/mineral spirits to completely remove paint from the topside of the battery. coat with thermal epoxy, and vice-grip the penny-slap onto it until dry.

dremel grooves (as deep as you can get) into the backside of the penny-slab (more surface area=better cooling), and dremel the eris back cover to fit.

thats how I would do it. I can't imagine 3 grams of copper (1 penny) having significant enough thermal mass to cool down a battery weighing probably a hundred grams at 40-50c

20. colornshape

colornshape Android Enthusiast

I simply set the phone so the back of it is against any cold can of beer or pop. It never overheats as long as the aluminum is cold. I don't take the cover off. A two liter bottle lasts longer, but doesn't absorb heat as quickly, it seems, because they're plastic. Good luck.

Matt

21. (SA) Prez

(SA) Prez Lurker

This is an interesting thread. My Eris always seems to overheat. A lot of it I think is because I work outside in the Texas heat and am always playing with it. A good way to cool it would be awesome. I will have to think of some ideas as well. Anyone find a place to get inexpensive battery covers?

22. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

I guess HTC was too cheap to include a built-in penny heat sink. LOL! :D

23. QuasiNerd

QuasiNerd Newbie

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a sheet of copper?

24. roscuthiii

roscuthiii Well-Known Member

Heat sinks? Wait, so I wasn't supposed to remove the battery cover and poor a glass of Brita filtered ice water inside?

Seriously though, are there any 3rd paty cases with cooling properties?

25. thrawn86

thrawn86 Android Enthusiast

seriously?

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews