1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Copilot in California

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by theboy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. theboy

theboy Lurker

Looking to take my own Satnav in April when we go across to California for 2 weeks. At the moment I have a TomTom unit but am not willing to pay the map price for a one off trip. So looking at other GPS options I'm thinking that copilot is probably the best? CoPilot Live v8, North America Maps

Advertisement

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert

How about using Google Maps?

3. Member282753

Member282753 Guest

I have used CoPilot and many other GPS devices all over the United States over many thousands of miles. I would agree with you that if your criteria is maps stored on the SD card that CoPilot is probably your best bet right now. It is certainly your most economical option especially if you buy the US version only. One thing you have to accept when you use CoPilot is that you get what you pay for in terms of map quality. The maps are just no where near as good as Navteq or TomTom maps. One thing I would recommend to overcome this is to keep points of interest written down on a piece of paper with you when you travel and look up and record the latitude and longitude of those locations in decimal coordinates before you travel. Since CoPilot allows you to enter decibel cordinates directly in to the app this will get you past any map problems that results from not being able to look up an address correctly. If you are going to be doing a lot of address lookups were you are replying on top notch map data then I would have to recommend the Navigon app instead of CoPilot. Navigon uses Navteq maps so that is as good as it gets in the United states. That app does not impress me however for the very high price compared to CoPilot. It is definitely a trade off unfortunately. Depending upon were you are going I would recommend the traffic feature of both of these apps. They both use the Inrix traffic feed which is excellent. You will get it for free with the Navigon app and it will cost you $10 for a year with the CoPilot app. If you have any further questions be sure let me know, I would be glad to help.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I just wanted to point out that Copilot's ActiveTraffic service has a two week free trial period, which might just be good enough to cover your trip.

Also, as mentioned above, there are two version of Copilot that will cover California: Copilot Live North America ($20) and Copilot Live USA ($5).

Another reasonably priced option is NDrive. There's no traffic service in the US, but the US maps are $20.