1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

CoPilot Works Processor Hard!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Motorhomer, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Male
    Retailer
    Lancashire, England
    I'm from England but have just driven down through France to the Med and,after a few days in southern Spain, am now exploring the Algarve region of Portugal.

CoPilot has worked superbly right through my trip, although there was just one section of newish motorway in northern Spain that it didn't know about.

Its features and display are far superior to my previous sat-navs and I installed it as I can no longer get updates for the Blaupunkt system that is pre-installed in my motorhome.

My only minor complaint is that it seems to work the processor very hard. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and if the battery level is at say, 90% when I start CoPilot, it will remain at that level and occasionally even drop slightly. It is plugged in to my 12v socket permanently by the way using the genuine Samsung cradle.

I also find that, after a trip, my S2 is very hot, which again suggests that it has been working hard.

Is this typical of Android sat-navs? There is no doubt in my mind that, if I were to use this app for navigating when walking around a city, the battery would be depleted very quickly. Fortunately I always carry a spare that I bought on eBay for about

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I used CoPilot at my HTC Desire and had also that warming issue.
    Even I had the phone to mount over the car's air vents to prefent overheating.

Now with the Navigon app on my HTC Sensation the phone is warming too.

I measured the phone's discharging current with Navigon running with 'Battery Montor Widget' (phone not on the charger): About 600mA.
    This is about the same current I had measured with CoPilot running on the Desire long time ago.

So I think, navigation on phone is a very power consuming task :)

Harry

Motorhomer likes this.
  3. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I had heat issues on my OG Droid using both CoPilot and Google Maps. With both apps, as the battery temperature increased, the charging rate decreased, eventually causing the battery to discharge even though it was plugged in and "charging".

Based on my experience, I don't think your problem is specific to the app you're using, I think it's specific to your device.

Motorhomer likes this.