1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Copy and Paste on Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Raniyah, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Raniyah

Raniyah Newbie

As you know, we can copy and paste text on Android. For example, I can copy SMS and paste it on WhatsApp chats. Until I copy a new text, the previously copied item exists. Does anybody know how long will it exist?

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

it is saved in the clipboard. and will be erased when a new item is added to the clipboard......or if you clear cache.....or if you reboot the phone.

Raniyah, Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

It is held in RAM, which is volatile memory... that is to say, the copied data will be in memory until the phone is turned off or rebooted.

4. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

Actually it stays in your clipboard..and it doesn't depend on the time..neither if the phone is cleared cache..nor rebooted(perhaps it's just my phone)..but it remains until there's about 20-25 other previously saved/copied items..and then you copied another one..so that last one removes the first one..and so on.

I hope that answers your question.

ocnbrze, Raniyah and MrJavi like this.
  5. Raniyah

Raniyah Newbie

Thank you very much for your complete and clear answer. I've got another problem and I hope you won't be embarrassed. As you've mentioned, "there are about 20-25 other previously saved/copied items". Where can we see all these things at once? I mean how can we access the clipboard? Is it depend on the device model or the same method for all Android devices?

Xavier Black, ocnbrze and MrJavi like this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

On my Huawei phone using Swiftkey, whatever is in the copy and paste buffer is there indefinitely AFAICT until I clear it manually, even after restarting the phone.

Xavier Black, ocnbrze and MrJavi like this.
  7. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

On my Samsung, I long press and tap clipboard.

Screenshot_2020-10-26-13-38-11.png

Screenshot_2020-10-26-13-38-25.png