1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Copy Contacts to SIM? Galaxy S5

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by pinkybrain, Jan 20, 2016.

1. pinkybrain

pinkybrain Member

I can't seem to find this. The closest I can find is Import/Export to device and Import/Export to SD Card?

I've looked at other articles but I don't have what some are telling me to do.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Contacts really should be saved to your Google account for automatic backup and easy restoration or transfer to a new device. Foolproof and super simple.

The option to save contacts to SIM cards is disappearing and no doubt will be gone completely in a year or two. Your phone seems to one of those that has already dropped the save to SIM option. Unlike other contacts options, SIM contacts can have names and numbers only - no email addresses, physical addresses, photos, birthdays, notes - none of the extra information most people like to be able to add. In short, saving contacts to SIM is old, outdated technology that should not be considered a viable option.

Your phone has an option to export your contacts to a removable SD card, probably with a choice of as a .vcf file or .cvs file. Either one will work. I prefer .vcf. If you save contacts only to the phone just be sure to do manual backups by exporting them to a file and keep a copy somewhere other than on the phone in case of theft or loss of the phone.

All that said, again I highly. strongly recommend saving contacts to your Google account.

girolez, Jfalls63 and Hadron like this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Plus, if your contacts have emails and multiple numbers, SIM can't handle them. SIM can only hold around 300 entries and each entry can only consist of a name and one number or email. So a contact with 2 numbers and 2 email adds, which is only one entry in Google or device, will be 4 entries in the SIM.

Plus if saved to Google, contacts automatically is copied to devices with your account logged in.