1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Copy-paste in SMS messages does not work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OldGrantonian, Jul 7, 2019.

1. OldGrantonian

OldGrantonian Lurker

I want to copy a horribly complex 12-digit password from one phone to another Android phone by text message. (To enter into my email account.)

When I tap and hold the received text, the field darkens, but no handles appear.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

2. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Some messaging apps do not allow selective text handles, instead they "select all". I believe this is what is happening with your app, you should get copy, cut and paste options appear at the top of the page.

ocnbrze, mikedt and Hadron like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Try a different texting app? Textra is often recommended on AF.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Textra will do what we think is happening here: select the message rather than a text range. Of course you can then copy the whole message text and edit out what you don't want.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  5. OldGrantonian

OldGrantonian Lurker

The app on the receiving phone is simply labeled "Messages". Icon is 3 lines of text on blue circle.
    Selecting all the text does not present options at top of page. The 3-dots "More options" icon shows: Delete, Share, Forward, View Details.
    I'll try Textra.
    If I download Textra do I first need to delete "Messages", to prevent conflict and indigestion?

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That sounds like the stock Motorola texting app is a bit limited. Definitely give Textra a try.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. OldGrantonian

OldGrantonian Lurker

I downloaded Textra. It allows copying, but only of a complete message. That's better than nothing. Maybe I'll experiment with some other apps.

Thanks to all for the help.

ocnbrze and JAy3001 like this.

Motorola Moto C Forum

The Motorola Moto C release date was June 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, MT6737M processor, and 2350mAh battery.

June 2017
Release Date
Reviews