1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Copy Result of ACTION_GET_CONTENT to App Filedir

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by drblau, Oct 19, 2020.

1. drblau

drblau Lurker

Recently I wanted to allow the user to pick a file and for internal reasons I have to copy it in to the Apps Directory (getFilesDir()). I let the User Pick any File with the Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT and the Type "*/*" so that the user really can pick anything.

From my Intent I mostly get a Uri around the lines of content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/document... and I copy these pretty easily like this:
    [​IMG]

Everything works wonderful if I get the scheme I said, but if I'm unlucky I get something along the lines content://com.android.providers.media.documents/document/image:15199 or any other android.providers.
    Since these are obviously not a real file, because they don't have any filetype, I'm at a loss how to copy them. I have found a Function (https://www.dev2qa.com/how-to-get-real-file-path-from-android-uri/) that gives me the real Path, but every time I try to copy with that Path I get a Permission Denied Error, even though I ask for write and read external Storage permissions and the user allows them to me. So how would it be better to copy the files?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download