• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Copying files from USB drive to Internal SD

kristalsoldier

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2011
Hi...

I have a 2 GB Transcend USB thumb drive which I reformatted to FAT32 and which the A500 was able to read. But when I tried to copy the test folder (I filled it with 300 MB of stuff - only documents of various kinds), I could not copy it. I got an error message.

Is the only way to copy files to the Tab by hooking it up via the USB connector to my laptop? (Btw, I don't know if this is relevant, but my laptop runs Win 7 Pro).

Thanks in advance.

What file manager are you using (astro, es,???) or are you not using one?

Sorry forgot to mention that. I am using ES File Explorer (free version from the Market).

Thanks

Edit:

I copied a 700 meg avi file onto the USB stick, it played just fine on the tab. I could also copy it, but could not paste it in the movies folder on the internal sd drive.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong or missing? Thanks.

Edit 2:

Well, I don't know what happened, but I tried thr whole operation again and this time it worked. Not only did I save the avi file to the internal sd card, but I also transferred a folder again of around 700 megs to the internal card too. Now the question is whether I can delete them at will. The second question is: Can I place a shortcut of certain folders to one of the Home Screens?

Upvote 0
Thanks. That worked. I am now loving the A500. The only thing left to do is get some app to edit Office 2010 files!!!!!

I thought docs to go (already on the tab) allowed editing of word and excel files for office 07-08 and 2010. There was another app similar called officesuite (i believe this supports office 1997-2010) you could try that if docs to go doesn't do it for you.

Upvote 0
I thought docs to go (already on the tab) allowed editing of word and excel files for office 07-08 and 2010. There was another app similar called officesuite (i believe this supports office 1997-2010) you could try that if docs to go doesn't do it for you.

While this is may be a bit off-topic in the context of this thread, I noticed when checking how to pay for the Docs2Go, that while the tab is recognized as such, it is not one of the devices listed on the Docs2Go purchase site. I wonder if that matters. It just maybe the case that that list was not updated given that the A500 and the Transformer etc are very new machines.

I'll probably go with Doc2Go though!

Upvote 0
DTG works very well with the A500. use it with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and gosh, not bad at all. I am an extensive user of the spreadsheet and word processing capabilities of DTG and I have Office 2010 installed on my laptop and netbook - no problems at all.

Thanks. That is very reassuring. I will be buying it either later this evening or tomorrow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones