• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Copying over pictures to PC

Dave Estam

Jan 11, 2016
Actually I have two questions, I seem to be missing pictures I took some time ago and wondering if there is a limit to can take before there auto deleted?
Second is how do I copy over the pictures to my PC.
I'm using Gallery which I think came with the phone.
Any help please....

For the first, there shouldn't be.

For the second, either use a file explorer to copy them to SD then stick the SD in a card reader, or connect the phone via USB and then use the PC to copy them. Gallery is just a generic image displaying app, and I don't think it can help you unless you want to just share individual photos (e.g. by email). The files themselves will either be in internal storage or on the removable sd card, depending on how you have things set up - I imagine the Gallery app can tell you exactly where in the filesystem they are stored (it will be Samsung's gallery app, which I'm not familiar with, but it will have a way of looking at "details" or "information" about an image, and that's where you'll see where it's stored, which is useful so you can find it from your PC's file explorer).

Upvote 0
There are quite a few options to move your photos to your PC via USB, Bluetooth for PC Bluetooth or Google Drive. The easiest option is Google Drive just transfer your photos to Google Drive under your Google account. Then open your PC then log into your Google account then open up Google Drive and your pictures will be there. And from Google Drive just save them to your computer just by opening them after you logged to your account. 2nd option connection a USB cord to your PC and let the PC identify the new device connection, then look under your device name and you will see Internal memory and SD memory card files. Most likely your photos will be under internal memory if you haven't saved them to your SD card.

Upvote 0
Plugging my phone into my computers usb port just charges the phone and unable to access any files.

Is there a program I have to run in my PC which will enable me to access the my files and photos from the phone?
You need to change the connection type on the phone - sounds like it's set to charge only. I'd expect there to be something in the notification area for this, but am not familiar with this model. Set it to MTP connection and Windows Explorer should suffice for the transfer.

Upvote 0
That Hash code works on non-rooted S4 Galaxy i9500 and i9505 phones. It won't work on 2 of my rooted S4 Galaxies (1 running Marshmallow and the other Nougat) but when I connect to the comp - the swipe down from the top of the screen brings up the Menu to enable File or Photo transfer to the comp.
I am not familiar with the S4 Mini model but I'm surprised the Samsung hash code won't work if your S4 Mini is not rooted.
http://www.samsungsfour.com/tutorials/all-secret-codes-of-samsung-galaxy-s4.html
Your model phone is shown in this link and the Hash code I quoted is supposed to work in all the Samsung models listed. Have you got Developer options available? USB Debugging may be required for the code to work. Is your charge cable in good order?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't get that option on my S4 mini. I had read that and I don't see a MTP option.
Any help please, Thanks...

Tried a few different computers, think it's a S4 "mini" thing!

Hi, have you had a look in your 'Developer Options'?

http://www.androidsnap.com/samsung-...developer-options-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini.html

On my HTC M9 I can select MTP File Transfer mode when connected to PC/Laptop.

You may not have the same option but it's worth a look.

Screenshot_20170627-101548.png Screenshot_20170627-101608.png Screenshot_20170627-101635.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones