1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Copyright issue

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by adon25378, Apr 1, 2021.

1. adon25378

adon25378 Lurker

Please tell me where I can attribute flaticons icons .I have read on their website that I should attribute on description page. But if I write in app description page it will rank lower. Also can I use github libraries will not I get copyright library licence is apache 2.0 I cannot understand what is it's meaning ???
    I will be thankful whoever will help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Why will your app rank lower if you follow the directions for attribution?

As far as the Apache licence, if you do not understand it or what it means to you and your project, then the best option is to find out.

As for myself, I know squat about how it works, and only can assume that it is a licence that allows other people to utilize another person's app or the code within it.

Like I said, I really don't know much about how that stuff works, but I am positive that a search with your browser- such as, "copyright library apache 2.0' should provide some insight.

adon25378 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. adon25378

adon25378 Lurker

Because flaticons website says that credit should give on app description page and I have searched about apache licence but cannot understand

4. adon25378

adon25378 Lurker

However thank you for your reply

5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

If the terms of the license to which you agreed when choosing to incorporate someone else's work into your own stipulate that attribution be made on the app description page, that's where you have to make the attribution. If you're not willing to do that then you'll need to find different assets with different licensing terms.

On the Github library question, again you're bound by the developer's chosen licensing terms. You can read the full text of the Apache License 2.0 here:
    https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

This page provides an overview:
    https://choosealicense.com/licenses/apache-2.0/

Basically you're free to use the code but must include the existing license and copyright notice, as well as clearly specify if you've changed any of the contents of the licensed work.

Many apps I use have a "Third Party Licenses" section in the app's Settings or About screen where they provide the necessary documentation for anything they didn't create themselves. (But again, if flaticons requires attribution to be made "on the description page on the app store" then you'll have to do that as well.)

6. adon25378

adon25378 Lurker

Thank you so much bro I am pretty much clear now

ocnbrze and codesplice like this.