1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Correct Ways To Recalibrate Battery - Better/Accurate Batttery Life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Austrie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands
    Recalibrate Battery - Resets battery stats to get better/accurate battery life; should be done after flashing a ROM

I will list three most accurate ways to recalibrate battery, more accurate than using market app; for people who don't know. These method are similar but you get the picture of what you have to do for a successful and most accurate battery recalibartion

Drain Battery

• Drain your phone battery until its fully dead, till it turns off then power it back on(to see if it has any left), and drain the rest.
    • Now charge your phone while phone off.
    • Delete battery stats under “Advanced” option and then power on the phone in CWM.
    • Now drain your battery like step one.
    • Now charge your phone fully while powered off.
    Power Off Charge

• Charge your battery till 100% powered on
    • Unplug the charger from the phone, power off your phone, then charge till fully charged.
    • Unplug the charger from phone. Power back on your phone then charge to 100%
    • Unplug the charger from the phone, power off your phone, then charge till fully charged.
    • Unplug the charger and go into CWM.
    • In CWM, go to "Advanced" and then clear battery stats.
    • Power off phone and charge till 100%
    • Power on and drain battery completely, power it back on to see if it has any charge left
    • Charge phone powered off.
    Power On & Off Way

• When your phone is powered on, charge the battery until the indicator is at 100%.
    • Unplug the phone from the charger and power off phone
    • When the phone is off, plug the charger in, and charge till 100%
    • Unplug and power back on
    • Then power phone back off.
    • Charge Till 100%
    • Now go into CWM and go under "Advanced" and wipe battery stats.
    • Power on and drain battery till it turns off, try to power it back on and drain the rest if it has any more.
    • Charge completely while powered off

Easier But Normally Less Accurate Option

• Use and follow instruction from a battery calibration app from market. The best in my opinion is 'Battery Calibration', the one with a green android with a percent sign.

Advertisement

2. JokaLo

JokaLo Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011

3. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    Yes, the ways listed is longer, it just have some precaution in the steps to make sure the final result is most accurate. It's mostly for people who don't know how to recalibrate battery, safer for them.

4. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Android Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010
    One thing to keep in mind, and a pretty big thing at that, is these are lithium ion batteries in the Triumph. Every time you drain a lithium ion battery completely you lose some of the battery's capacity. So if you are telling folks to drain their battery multiple times you are actually telling them to kill a little bit of their battery every time. Just check out the link below. Explaining the Do's and Don'ts of Battery Charging - Battery University

Whyzor likes this.
  5. Whyzor

Whyzor Android Expert

Jul 7, 2011
    I agree with this, which is why I don't bother recalibrating my battery. I know the top 90-100 & 0-10 will be inaccurate. Just recharge before it gets too low (around 30%). I never recalibrate my battery, it is smart enough to recalibrate on its own over normal charge/discharge cycles.

6. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    I know, Lithium ion batteries lifespan does shorten every time you fully drain it, but the life span does shorten by so little, less than 0.01%, but most of us we gain more than we lose by recalibrating. I can guarantee that there's triumph owner(rooted) that have 40% and above inaccuracy and is wondering why battery life suck. When they charge to 100% there actually at 60%. Since batteries is meant to last 6 to 8 years, your only losing a little lifespan, most of us will get a new phone in 1 to 4 years.
    I do understand where you guys are coming from though.

nomonkeynodeal likes this.
  7. n01z

n01z Lurker

I have 3 batteries that I charge independently from my device and just swap full batteries when the others die. Is there a way to disable whatever native battery management functions that cause a need for recalibration?? Like instead of my device building a battery profile, have it just measure the actual battery stats in real time??

8. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

Sep 17, 2011
    I don't think it's what you mean, but Battery Monitor Widget and Android Tuner Pro (same dev) will monitor your battery capacity over time and give you analysis (including estimated remaining usage). Supports multiple batteries, and measures capacity/drain in mAh.
    I do the same thing you do.

I have never found the need to recalibrate battery stats while using multiple batteries/external charger.