1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Corrupt battery - thought the phone was dead

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kyle5434, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kyle5434

kyle5434 Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    Just an FYI...

A few days after going through the 2.2.1 root guide, my phone appeared to be non-functional. It would not power on, even with the charging cable attached. I knew that the battery was mostly charged the night before when I plugged it in to charge overnight, so I never suspected the battery was bad.

Here were the symptoms:

* Phone would not power up on its own.
    * Phone would not power up with the USB charging cable attached and the battery in the phone, and the LED blinked red.
    * Phone would not power up with the USB charging cable attached and the battery out of the phone, and the LED blinked blue.

The symptoms all indicated it was a hardware, rather than software, issue, so I was pretty confident that it was NOT related to the 2.2.1 rooting procedure.

I got my phone on a 1-year contract in August, so before taking it into the Verizon store I attempted to reload V6 (which ended up working, though I didn't know it at the time because it wouldn't reboot). Their diagnosis was also a failed phone, and they overnighted me a "certified pre-owned" phone (without SD card, battery, or back cover).

When I put my battery into the new phone, I got the exact same symptoms. So I went back to the Verizon store, and on a whim they pulled the battery from the demo Ally in the store, and both phones worked fine. They had no replacement batteries, so I had one overnighted, and proceeded to redo the 2.2.1 root on my original phone. All is well again.

So if your phone exhibits similar symptoms, you may be able to save a lot of time and hassle just by getting a new battery. I've now ordered a spare to have on hand.

Advertisement

socobandit likes this.
  2. Idunno

Idunno Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Ice cream depleater, rhyme repeater
    SoCal
    My phone was doing the exact same thing except I never got a blue LED. Mine would only blink red w/ and w/o batter installed whilst plugged into the wall.

Wouldn't start, wouldn't hold charge. Magically when I took it to verizon they plugged it into their wall charger and it turned on, but still would not hold a charge. New battery on its way via FedEx.

I too thought this was a result of my switch to 2.2.1 and velocity, but alas I was right and they were wrong.

Tags: