1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Corrupt Serial Number need fix please people

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ricrea, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ricrea

ricrea Newbie

Hello people,

I have had trouble with my phone recently. I bought a second hand S3, and it periodically loses network connection entirely, having to reboot several times to get it back.

The phone came to me rooted, yet it had the earliest software on it. I believe the seller either tried to fix this issue by rooting and didn't manage to even update the software, or the network connection was fine, he tried to modify it, and left it with the network connection issue.

Anyway, the kind peoples of XDA helped me finally to put Android 4.3on my phone, but this didn't fix the network issue, in fact, we flashed patched kernels to try and rectify the network issue via software, but it still remains a problem.

I have two things I need help with;

1)Does anyone know how to change the serial number back to what it should say (I have included screenshots to show what it looks like). I have no back up of the original EFS folder, only the current one in its current state, and would this maybe help with the loss of network.

2) Can anyone advise me on how I could test the functionality of the part of the phone (antenna?) that controls the network connection or loss of? Has anyone heard of a fix for this problem and could my current kernel etc (screenshot included) be the issue?

Many thanks to anyone who can help it would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

I can't help with the serial number but as far as data goes it looks like your running an older baseband (modem.) Is there a reason for that? I have a different version S3 but in order to get data to work on stock 4.3 I have to use the newer baseband that matches the rom build.

3. DWILSON48625

DWILSON48625 Android Enthusiast

I posted a link called savemyass.zip.

It fixed my s3 when I wiped out my efs by accident.

Use at own risk. May or may not work in your case. It did in mine. Its posted in all things root section for boost.

Mine happened when I failed flashing a rom.

I found the file in a panic and all was restored.

4. jaymzway

jaymzway Android Enthusiast

I stand corrected im very sorry:beerglass:

I was wrong for where I should have been rite and rite where I should have been wrong lmao...
    :dontknow: Rat's so this means I will have to keep wearing these green horns :D lmao...while longer then. They get so heavy after awhile man...

5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Nah, I think we're cool jaymzway;)
    Samsung and EFS folders getting borked sometimes happens.
    It's a good thing to do asap when rooted at least:)
    Backup And Restore Your EFS Folder On Samsung Devices

DWILSON48625, xdrc45 and jaymzway like this.
  6. jaymzway

if this is a well known thing then im gonna take note of this for future and get on it now and back this up so I have it handy Thank you good sir for the heads up :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:eek:So wow scary thoughts just came from that site I just thought of
    so having a legit phone only proves 1 thing to as well careful on how you talk to your provider
    as for I can see the clear next steps that they can take if they really wanted to be a real jerk......filing you under abuse over there system. there's other thing's that could render your ESN bad other than just stolen which is the first thing that comes to mind but what about for say using :motz:harsh language :call: or for being to harsh period to your provider's as well they can render your expensive device's useless... as well from remotely ota!!! or im a wrong on that? as for there are already allot of already :thinking: hidden UTAgreement"s section just for thoughts to say is all..
    WOW! just WOW!

Mikestony likes this.
  7. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Yeah, it's an issue that can happen after taking an OTA running stock even, had this issue with a Note 2, took Samsung ages to sort out as well. (It wasn't my phone otherwise it'd have already been rooted so an EFS backup would have been available)

jaymzway likes this.
  8. jaymzway

I'm sorry sir I couldn't help to take notice that I have failed to credit you for being very supportive and helping me along the way in many of forums I could have sent this to your pm n mean very little but I prefer this to be in opening for everyone to see. Has more meaning that counts:beer::D thank you good sir

Mikestony likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews