• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Corrupted Kernel?

jivenene

Aug 30, 2011
Hi,

I spent half the day reading about a problem I am having and just getting acquainted with the terminology and I'm a little burnt out. Here is my problem:

Dropped my phone in water while it was on. Immediately disassembled, flushed out with tap water, then force flushed with alcohol. Board dried out nicely, but had to replace screen & LCD because I cracked it while trying to pry it apart to get the water out. Replaced screen, reassembled phone.

Now it works partly, and I am thinking the OS is somehow corrupted because it is behaving weird. I need a way to re-install the OS without doing a

I think your only option is to do a factory reset which will wipe your apps and contacts...which will be saved in google anyways, unless some of your contacts were saved to the phone itself.
The factory reset will not install a new OS, it will just wipe data and cache etc.
Easiest way to reset is in bootloader screen, then click "clear storage"
The other option is to unlock your bootloader with the HTCdev method, install a custom recovery, then superuser. That will allow you to be rooted and install a custom rom. (OS)
See this guide. Just read carefully and it really is easy to do.
By the way, Welcome to AF.:D
Lots of people here to help out with your issue, so no worries.
Hopefully the whole water thing didn't permanently damage something.:)

Edit:

SD Checking.
Loading PC36DIAG.zip
No Image!
Loading PC36DIAG.nbh
No Image or wrong image!
Loading PC36IMG.zip
No Image!
Loading PC36IMG.nbh
No Image or wrong image!

That message is normal btw.:)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I think your only option is to do a factory reset which will wipe your apps and contacts...which will be saved in google anyways, unless some of your contacts were saved to the phone itself.
The factory reset will not install a new OS, it will just wipe data and cache etc.
Easiest way to reset is in bootloader screen, then click "clear storage"
The other option is to unlock your bootloader with the HTCdev method, install a custom recovery, then superuser. That will allow you to be rooted and install a custom rom. (OS)
See this guide. Just read carefully and it really is easy to do.
By the way, Welcome to AF.:D
Lots of people here to help out with your issue, so no worries.
Hopefully the whole water thing didn't permanently damage something.:)

Edit:

That message is normal btw.:)

Thanks for the knowledge. So does doing a Factory Reset re-install the kernel? I fear that it may be corrupt as the phone seems to be having hardware issues with the wifi and bluetooth. also the high current drain, and no mic/spk.

Or is that something that must be done manually, installing a new kernel?

Jive

Upvote 0
Thanks for the knowledge. So does doing a Factory Reset re-install the kernel? I fear that it may be corrupt as the phone seems to be having hardware issues with the wifi and bluetooth. also the high current drain, and no mic/spk.

Or is that something that must be done manually, installing a new kernel?

Jive
No, you will still have the same kernel.
In order to flash a new kernel, you need to be rooted.;)

Upvote 0
yeah and the same goes for repairing the os which is to root the phone. not much you can do on an unrooted phone. you can either do a factory reset or take it in and get it fixed. not much else i see as of right now.

So here is my approach, tell me if I am missing something:

1) Root phone
2) Install Amon Ra
3) apply Nandroid backup
4) clear cache and Dalvik cache
5) reboot

If that doesn't do it:

1) re-install stock kernel
2) reboot

I already got my contacts into Google, from the phone too. Also used MyBackup Lite to b/u my important apps, and got all my pics/vids off the phone. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
So here is my approach, tell me if I am missing something:

1) Root phone
2) Install Amon Ra
3) apply Nandroid backup
4) clear cache and Dalvik cache
5) reboot

If that doesn't do it:

1) re-install stock kernel
2) reboot

I already got my contacts into Google, from the phone too. Also used MyBackup Lite to b/u my important apps, and got all my pics/vids off the phone. What am I missing?

Kinda...
1. Unlock bootloader via HTCdev site.
2. install Amon Ra.
3. Install superuser.
3a...you will have root privileges on stock rom.
4. stay on stock rom or, my recommendation, flash custom rom.
A custom rom will come with its own, different, kernel, which you have several options on a custom rom.

Just read carefully, take it slow, and ask any questions if unclear about something.
We'll be here.

Edit: when you are ready, just follow the guide I linked and start a new thread in the "All things root" section.:)

Upvote 0
Kinda...
1. Unlock bootloader via HTCdev site.
2. install Amon Ra.
3. Install superuser.
3a...you will have root privileges on stock rom.
4. stay on stock rom or, my recommendation, flash custom rom.
A custom rom will come with its own, different, kernel, which you have several options on a custom rom.

Just read carefully, take it slow, and ask any questions if unclear about something.
We'll be here.

Edit: when you are ready, just follow the guide I linked and start a new thread in the "All things root" section.:)

Sigh... it's so depressing when i can't get past step 1!!!! :mad::mad:

Went through the HTCDev procedure, but got stuck at

fastboot oem get_identifier_token

I get an error:

(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [0.009s]
finished. total time: 0.010s

I researched for 2 hours, made sure my phone was in charge mode only (then rebooted into bootloader). Also dicovered the HTC Super Tool v3‎, but could not find that download anywhere, and don't know if it still exists.

I don't have much more hair to lose, so help please!

Jive.

Upvote 0
Was your phone in still in fastboot when that command was issued?
Is the fastboot.exe file in your Android folder you created?
And your screen looked like this screen when the command was issued?
http://www.htcdev.com/images/uploads/bootloader/step8.png
I've heard of some people having issues and tried the HTC method again.:thinking:
I'm wanting to say that your phone was not in fastboot and when you look at your phone it should say fastboot usb when you plug in phone in step 4

Upvote 0
Was your phone in still in fastboot when that command was issued?
Is the fastboot.exe file in your Android folder you created?
And your screen looked like this screen when the command was issued?
http://www.htcdev.com/images/uploads/bootloader/step8.png
I've heard of some people having issues and tried the HTC method again.:thinking:
I'm wanting to say that your phone was not in fastboot and when you look at your phone it should say fastboot usb when you plug in phone in step 4

Yes to all the above. Tried it twice, made sure to verify phone said "FASTBOOT USB". the 3 files were in the c:\android directory. Screen matched the image you show.

It was midnight, and I still had to do dishes and make the kids lunches, so I was under the gun, and tired, so maybe i missed something.

I will attempt again tonight. I did a quick search for the error and found people who had the same problem. One person's was resolved when he installed HBOOT again on his phone (even though it was the same as his existing 2.18 version). I don't know how to do that and ran out of energy to continue. :(

Just thought of something. I remember reading about unrelated problems people were having when their SD card was only 2GB. mine is 8, but there is only 1GB space free. It's a shot in the dark, but i'll free up some space and try again.

Upvote 0
Yes to all the above. Tried it twice, made sure to verify phone said "FASTBOOT USB". the 3 files were in the c:\android directory. Screen matched the image you show.

It was midnight, and I still had to do dishes and make the kids lunches, so I was under the gun, and tired, so maybe i missed something.

I will attempt again tonight. I did a quick search for the error and found people who had the same problem. One person's was resolved when he installed HBOOT again on his phone (even though it was the same as his existing 2.18 version). I don't know how to do that and ran out of energy to continue. :(

Just thought of something. I remember reading about unrelated problems people were having when their SD card was only 2GB. mine is 8, but there is only 1GB space free. It's a shot in the dark, but i'll free up some space and try again.
Your hboot is not the issue, however, your sd storage may be an issue....
Your apps are linked to your google account so its easy to reinstall them. Delete some/most/all user apps to free up some space.
Delete non important texts, emails, photos, music...or if possible, transfer sd card contents to computer, then delete.:)

Upvote 0
If you want I can help you through it using team viewer, if you dont know team viewer google it and pm me we can set up a time.

Though to be honest I am unsure if the hardware and battery drain issues are software related.
They could be water damaged hardware.

Oh one other thing when you do the htc unlock it will clear your phone, all contacts, all apps, etc. just like a factory reset.

Upvote 0
some times when you copy the identifier it puts space in front of the first row, try pasting it into notepad and remove spaces in front of all the first numbers or symbols

Confused.

Are you referring to "fastboot oem get_identifier_token"
as in it was entered incorrectly so bootloader returned "Command error!!!"??

I apologize for the noobish questions.

Upvote 0
If you want I can help you through it using team viewer, if you dont know team viewer google it and pm me we can set up a time.

Though to be honest I am unsure if the hardware and battery drain issues are software related.
They could be water damaged hardware.

Oh one other thing when you do the htc unlock it will clear your phone, all contacts, all apps, etc. just like a factory reset.

Yep, that's the whole point of this exercise, to determine if rebuilding the software side of the phone will fix the hardware issues before plopping $200 on a newer phone. Plus I really like this phone, every time I use it I am amazed at how well it works (well, until recently of course).

Jive

Upvote 0
ok so i did a little digging and i have not turned up anything concrete yet(still digging). but this could be related to your original issue. it might be something that is corrupted. it could be a corrupted NV(which is part of your radios) or something like that and i have no idea on how to fix that, unfortunately. i will still do some digging though.

Upvote 0
ok so i did a little digging and i have not turned up anything concrete yet(still digging). but this could be related to your original issue. it might be something that is corrupted. it could be a corrupted NV(which is part of your radios) or something like that and i have no idea on how to fix that, unfortunately. i will still do some digging though.

Thanks for chiming in. Here is what I want to accomplish:

0.5) save the Mobi PCS settings so I can re-flash it to work on their system again. Originally it was a Sprint phone.
1) reload the phone with factory kernel and ROM.
2) Re-flash Mobi-PCS settings so I don't have to pay the reseller another $35 to do it.

This is my only phone, so stability is key. The things I would like to do one day are:

1) custom ROM/Kernel to speed up the booting, and maybe overclock by a little.
2) remove alot of Sprint bloatware and Apps, as I am constantly running up against the 500MB internal storage limit. I would prefer a lean system with tons of overhead instead of something bogged down with unnecessary processes.

I have alot of learning to do, but fortunately its interesting so it's fun!
I guess what I need to do is buy another phone as my primary, and use this one for testing/tweaking/phreaking.

Upvote 0

Yes there is a way to repair the nv partition one of the first guys i helped flash to boost had completely over written his nv by mistake. I Will need to find that info

Upvote 0
Yes there is a way to repair the nv partition one of the first guys i helped flash to boost had completely over written his nv by mistake. I Will need to find that info

do you know how to find if it is a bad nv partition? i can't seem to find how we found it was the nv's that were causing reboot issues with cm7. if you can post a link or something about fixing it that would be awesome.

i'm still digging.

Upvote 0
do you know how to find if it is a bad nv partition? i can't seem to find how we found it was the nv's that were causing reboot issues with cm7. if you can post a link or something about fixing it that would be awesome.

i'm still digging.

Just to be clear, the 3G and voice calling worked after the accident. but my Wifi and Bluetooth did not.

and the spk/mic on the phone did not, but i think it might be the kernel, not hardware.

Upvote 0

i'm still digging.
This guy completely screwed his nv I think it was causing bootloops.

what he did(following this part of the guide)
Round 3: (Incognito & Rant)
Go back to CDMA Workshop, "Security" tab, SPC - write the 6 digit code from the .txt file inside the box, click on SPC - send. You should get a message saying that the SPC code is correct and the phone is unlocked.

Upvote 0
The stars have aligned tonight. I removed crap from my SD card and went from 1.4GB to 2.54GB free, I repeated the same steps as last night, and now it works. I copied the Identifier Token, all is well!

Thanks for the hand holding. I am sure I'll need some more along the way.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep us posted.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
So here are my results.

I followed your guide ocnbrz (Awesome BTW), and ended up going with the MikG 3.1 ROM and Anthrax Kernel.

Long story short, same issues with the phone:

Slow boot, quick battery drain, no wifi/bluetooth, no spk/mic.

I am so very bummed, I guess that means I have hardware damage, unless anybody has any last ditch suggestions for going deeper into kernel/hardware issues.

One curiosity, after doing all those cache and Dalvik wipes, and bootloader unlock (which i thought wiped the phone), I still have alot of old background pics on the phone. I think its because they are stored on SD card?

BUT, why are my Mobi PCS settings still in the phone? it connects to Mobi PCS network, i just have no sound, but i do have 3G. I would think that doing all that to the phone, new ROM and Kernel, all the previous configs would be erased. Why are they still there?

Jive

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones