1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root corrupted messages??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Travenport, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Travenport

Travenport Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    just thought Id make a post before I chalk it up to having a faulty phone.

Every time i tried to send a long text message, the recipient (tried on multiple contacts) always tells me that i sent them a bunch of gibberish. I had my friend forward back to me what appeared on their phone and it was just a bunch of symbols and characters from other languages.

I AM rooted however i think the problem is deeper than this, as it happens no matter what ROM is flashed on my phone and Ive tried 3 different kernels as well. I have not tried putting the phone back to stock yet, but even if that works, whats the point in having a locked phone?

Anyone ever experience this? If I have to go back to stock im just gonna try to get a replacement.

Any help appreciated

Advertisement

2. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Wichita/Lawrence, Kansas
    haven't had this issue before. are you using the stock mms or a third party like handcent?

3. Travenport

Travenport Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    ive tried stock and go sms. it happens with both

4. ROB281

ROB281 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    happens to me with stock sms app

if the message breaks into to 2 messages forget it, they'll receive a bunch of gibberish

5. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Wichita/Lawrence, Kansas
    try handcent. that's the only one i use & i haven't had that issue. maybe bkuz handcent can actually replace your stock mms

6. Travenport

Travenport Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    how does it replace it?

7. fujimori09

fujimori09 Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    my girlfriend and I are both actually having the same issue. im using google voice and shes on the stock sms. btw i hate google voice for sms but i cant get rid of it because i cant recieve texts through my stock sms once i get rid of google voice for some reason

8. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    My GF is having this same exact issue..Is there a fix? She keeps yelling at me because she thinks its due to me rooting her phone :rolleyes:

9. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Looks like it's due to the # of characters in the txt message. I removed the last 10 characters of the exact message where the receiver gets gibberish, and now it's fine. Once I added back the extra letters, issue occurred again. This only happens when my gf sends about a 4 to 5 sentence txt message. I tested this on stock sms app, chompsms and handscent sms ..so looks like its def a character limitation.

Edit: I recommend getting GO SMS PRO (Free SMS App). It has a feature where it will automatically split up your long text message (160 characters) into 2 txts.

10. Travenport

Travenport Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    i dont have the means to test it right now (in class) but im not sure if that will do any good. Go SMS is what ive been using since release and i have that option enabled and people still report gibberish from my end. from what i remember, even if the text msg is still under the 160 character limit, it still corrupts.

im thinking it could be phone related. may send up something to google, or just try to get another phone from sprint to see if it still does it

11. Stormray

Stormray Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    I use GO SMS and I still get this issue on my Nexus S 4G.

12. bushming

bushming Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Tech Director, Lighting Designer, Stage Manager
    Longmont, CO
    I had this issue using Handcent. Fixed it by going to Handcent settings>> send message settings>> split 160. Change that setting from "don't split" to any of the other options. That should fix the problem.

13. SSG27

SSG27 Member
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    Walls, MS
    I think it's an issue with the stock mms.apk because my old Galaxy prevail can send a text up to 800 characters (split up into 5, 160 character messages). I've read on one of the other sites, xda i think, of a modified mms.apk that fixed the issue but haven't been able to find it as of yet.

Tags: