1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Costco confusion? 14 day exchange only?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Shalamay, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Shalamay

Shalamay Newbie

So, I'm able to upgrade and my Dinc is giving me some problems and figured I'd get a Thunderbolt (well two as I was going to get one for the wife too). I went into Costco and asked if they had any, they said no, mail order only. Errrr. Then the guy tells me that there's about a 9 day wait right now and said I that it would count against my 14 day cancellation window. I said that Costco has a 90 day return and he said nope. This is what he told me:

He said that they follow Verizon's guidelines with returns and refunds. They told me that there is a 14 day return, refund, or exchange window. After that, Costco will only do a refund up to 30 days from purchase, but you are still liable for your contract (which can only be cancelled within the 14 days). The 90 day return is only for returning a defective item for another item of the same.

I told them that I've read that the Thunderbolt has been having problems and that it seems to be a mixed bag. I asked if I were to get the Thunderbolt and in 45 days if I am having problems could I exchange it for the Charge or Revo? I even said what if I don't like it and want to get a refund in 35 days and go back to my Dinc? He said no, that the 90 return is for the same item only and that Costco will not refund or exchange the phone.

This is nothing like I have been reading about buying from Costco and not believing him, I went to another Costco and the other side of town and talked to a lady who told me the same thing. Is this right? I even pointed to the sign with the 90 day return and said it doesn't mention any of what you just told me, they both told me that it is a 90 day return, but you get the same phone you gave them back and you can't change to another phone or get a refund.

I'm confused now and wondering what you guys think? I wanted to go with the 90 day return so that if 2.3 does not come out by then or does (but fails to fix most of the tbolts problems) then I would give one of the others a try. They are saying that I would only get a few days to try it to decide if I like it. I don't think that is long enough and not sure if my wife would decide how she feels about it in that time (she is very thorough). Do you think that I'm fine to get it at Costco still or just get it somewhere else as I'll be stuck with it regardless? Sorry for the long post.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Wireless devices have their own return period even at other retailers. The carrier's return period dictates what the reseller can do. The reseller can't override the carrier.

If you're not ok with the return period of 14 days then why would go with them? You've been told multiple times that you'd have 14 days. Someone posting here and telling you otherwise won't increase it to 90.

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Android Expert

There are always exceptions and exclusions to any store's returns policy. Costco's is 90 days in general.

4. jree

jree Android Enthusiast

It would be ridiculous if companies let you exchange your phone for a completely different one within 90 days. Thats 3 months of you renting a phone that that company could not resell as new and would ultimately lose money on and have to market as a refurb. People that practice this(not saying you) is why Tmobile charges a restocking fee in some of their(if not all) stores because people were abusing it.

The 90 day instore exchange is the reason I went with costco cause corporate stores, atleast not around me, will let you do an instore exchange within 90 days. They tell you to make a claim with tmobile and then they'll send you a refurb, not brand new phone.

5. Germwise

Germwise Android Enthusiast

I called the costco customer service line and they told me that I could exchange my phone for another one within my 90 days... I'll call the store and verify.

But if you can't exchange then whats the point of buying from costco? amazon, wirefly etc have cheaper phones

6. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

I was told the same thing when my wife upgraded to a Dinc2.

Day 1-14- You can cancel your agreement and return the phone for a refund or return the phone for a different phone. Verizon's policy.

Day 15-30- return the phone for a different phone but you're still locked in to the same agreement you signed on Day 1. Not sure if this is Verizon's policy or if it's a Costco policy.

Day 31-90- Exchange your defective phone for the same phone. This is a Costco policy.

If you get it from Costco...you get a neato accessory pack!! They have the best one size fits all carry case. (sarcasm) :p

7. Shalamay

Shalamay Newbie

I agree that 90 days sounds odd, but if you read on the fourms most people say that they are told they have 90 days to exchange or refund the phone. They told me what they told xmr405o, but that is not what I've read.

I decided to call the number for the website sales and talked to a rep. She said said to read this and this. She that the 1-14 day return is just as it has been said, to return and cancel service or exchange a phone without penalty and is a Verizon policy. She said the 15-90 day is a refund or exchange policy is Costco's policy that Wireless Associates follows because of their contract with each other. She said that you an get a new replacement (phone does not work right), an exchange, or a refund within the 90 days for any reason. You are still obligated to your Verizon contract after day 14.

She said that she did not know why the kiosk would be saying anything different and even asked her supervisor about it, he said that this is their policy and didn't know why anyone would be told different. It is in their contract with Costco that they follow Costco's return policy for cell phones he said.

So, I went ahead and ordered it online and printed everything out. I hope that the TBolt is great and that I don't have to worry about dealing with this.

8. Shalamay

Shalamay Newbie

Exactly, that is why you want it from Costco, without the 90 day policy, other sources are better. Even Best Buy gives me a 45 day (silver member) to return or exchange. I talked to 3 different stores, they all said the same thing, swap only for the same phone even though they have a sign that says 90 day return policy on the kiosk. When I called and looked online it says the opposite, so I just ordered online. All I can think of is that they were getting a lot of returns and are telling people no, but I think that if you went in with a print out from the website or went to a Costco manager, that it would be taken care of.

iron mongoose likes this.
  9. mob87

mob87 Well-Known Member

Has anyone got a definite answer on this yet or tried to exchange after 30 days? The website is somewhat contradicting, in the FAQ it says this

but if you read the return policy it says

So which is it? Can they or can they not exchange after the trial period? Online reps insure that you can, yet any kiosk rep will tell you differently.

10. thaiguy8904

thaiguy8904 Lurker

Actually you can return within the 90 day period you just have to cheat a lil. ; ) before the 90 day period ends you have to return it and get the same model.this will give you a brand new receipt. Now you go to a different Costco and say you purchasEd this phone a week ago and they will let you swap it out for a different model because they think you are still within the 14 days. I bought the incre2 and I switched it out for the bionic before my 90 days ended

11. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

hahaha... it is really not that confusing....

there are TWO contracts with your purchase: Verizon and Costco.

Costco has a 90 day return/exchange... fine.. you can follow their policy as stated.

Verizon cell phone contract: you got 14 days to cancel and get a full refund. after the 14 days.. you are locked and can only cancel by paying the cancellation fee.
    you need to follow their refund / exchange policy.

it is what it is...

12. fireblast713

fireblast713 Lurker

My parents purchased my Droid Charge on their Costco membership in CA, I returned it within 90 days and replaced it with another Droid Charge (there was nothing out that seemed better) which was purchased on my own separate Costco membership. I'm curious if since the purchase is now on my membership (instead of my parents - and I've never returned the phone on my membership) if I can return the phone again and maybe get something like the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus that just dropped, does anyone know? Has anyone tried this?