1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

could a bad power strip cause problem to the mobile device?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by louis2008, Dec 25, 2021.

  1. louis2008

    louis2008 Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    I have a power strip that I am not sure if it has problem inside because it is old and heavily used, but still "works" and without any observable sign of problems. I am thinking if a bad power strip could cause problem to my new and expensive phone when it is charging?
     



    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


      Download

       
  2. puppykickr

    puppykickr Android Expert

    Power strips either work or not.
    It should only affect the device in that it may or may not get a charge.

    Is the power strip also a surge protector?

    If so, the surge protection has a set lifespan.
    Once it cannot absorb any more surges, it will no longer do so.

    On a modern surge suppressor power strip, once the surge suppressor has reached its limit, then no more power will be provided to the power strip.

    On an old surge suppressor power strip, power may continue to be provided even after the surge suppressor no longer works.

    Surge suppression is best for sensitive electronics, and power strips without it are fine for power tools and intermittant large draw items (they make surges of their own).

    Most modern power grids are well adapted and do not have the surge problems of years ago, but there are other things that can cause issues where surge suppression may be desireable.

    If the function of a power strip of either type is in doubt, I replace it.
    They literally can be had for a couple or a few bucks at most any store.
    Modern products are cheaply made and are basically disposable, unless you want to pay an exorbitant amount for some industrial grade or professional equipment.

    I recently spent $30 on a very nice power strip at Harbor Freight.
    I use it at work, it is steel contruction, has two USB ports for charging devices, and attaches to my tool box with strong magnets.

    Honestly, I do not even know if it has any surge protection at all.
    My guess is that if there is, it resides inside the USB port power conversion area.

    Your device has a number of protections against 'bad power', and most likely is in no real danger.

    But, electricity can be fickle.
    Fluctuating/surging power could cause shortening of the lifespan of the charger for the device.

    What exactly is the power strip doing that could be a problem?
     
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. louis2008

    louis2008 Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for this very detailed advice.

    I have a power strip that has been used for years but still looks like new, however, I had it accidentally dropped from height for a couple of times. Yes, power strip is cheap but I really don't want to just throw it away when I cannot see any damage (but I haven't unscrewed and looked into the inside). I researched on the web, chances are it could have bad wires or connection inside and cause problems or even damage to the electronic or electrical appliance. Fact is it was a drop from table, it fell off from table a couple of times, and it is difficult to avoid this happening again in the future. I'm thinking, if there could be any significant sign when it is damaged or if there would be just no observable sign, but problem exists, and then cause damage to my appliances, then it will be very dangerous. I'd like to know if wires and connection inside a power strip are normally well mounted so that it can withstand some shock or impact from the environment
     
  4. dvhttn

    dvhttn Android Expert

    Power strips are so cheap that if you're not comfortable dealing with electrical problems and your post implies that you're not then just buy a new one. But basically a power strip is just a few wires and connectors internally so if you can use a screwdriver and have a vague idea what you're doing then take the old one apart and take a look.
     
    ocnbrze and puppykickr like this.
  5. louis2008

    louis2008 Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    I understand all you say, but I am thinking if it is possible that a bad power strip comes without any sign, but it is just bad and harm the electronic appliance
     
  6. puppykickr

    puppykickr Android Expert

    Like I said- unless it is a surge suppressor and a power strip (it will say on the tag on the back) then it either works or it doesn't work.

    One or the other.

    If it provides power and the on/off switch works, then it is fine.

    Why is it on a table where it falls to the ground?
    That is not good practice.

    There are mounting holes in the back to hang the power strip from screws.

    Hang it on a wall, under the table, or secure it to the top of the table.

    Having such a thing that falls to the floor is not anything to deal with.
    This must be resolved first, whether you replace the power strip or not.

    And if you do choose to replace it, do not mind that 'a good thing is going to waste'.
    You stated that it is years old, and we know that they are inexpensive.

    Your safety and your devices are not worth the risk of not replacing an item that you have already gotten your money's worth from.
     
  7. louis2008

    louis2008 Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    My home is finished with wallpaper everywhere so I do not want to make holes. More importantly, I cannot decide a stable place to hold the power strip. Sometimes putting the power strip on table and then sticking the plug into the mains, it is the time that the strip falls off from the table when I forget to hold the strip with another hand

    Well. Power strip isn't expensive, but isn't very cheap either, at least in my country.

    OK, so now, when buying a new power strip, what is the parameter I have to choose now? There isn't any term "Surge" in my current power strip
     
  8. ocnbrze

    ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

    there really are no one strip is bad over the other. i just buy whatever is cheap. i think you are over thinking this. a power strip is not like a technical device like a phone or tablet. some can handle devices that need more power like a fridge. some have added protection for computers and such. but if you are just using to charge a phone or tablet, you do not need anything pricey.

    also instead of drilling to hold a power strip, look into either double sided tape or velcro to adhere the strip to the wall.
     
  9. puppykickr

    puppykickr Android Expert

    Just put screws under the table.

    The power supply will or will not say surge suplressor on the back of it, where the specification information is.

    I would not waste my time with two sided tape or velcro, as these will not hold well or last.
    Also, they both may damage the other surface when they fail or are otherwise removed.

    Securing the strip to the underside of the table ensures that it will not fall, it is still accessible, and it is completely out of the way.

    This will also tidy up the top of the table.

    The screws do not need to be long at all, or ecen tightened, because the power tap simply slides over the heads of them.

    That is exactly why those holes are in the back of power strips.
     
    ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

    ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

    i use velcro. home depot has some that are really good. just get one rated for like 5-10lbs and you should be fine......and yes they ruin wallpaper or paint. but at least there will not be any holes.
     
  11. svim

    svim Extreme Android User

    Simply because that power strip looks OK physically on the outside, that has absolutely nothing to do with if it is or is not damaged in some way inside. The odds are just falling off a table a few times isn't going to do much, there are no moving parts or delicate components inside. It's not a big deal for a more tech savvy person to confirm if that power strip is fine or not, but since you appear to have doubts about it, instead of aggravating yourself so much just buy a new one and replace it. Life is too short to fixate on such minor details.
     
    puppykickr and ocnbrze like this.
  12. louis2008

    louis2008 Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter

    I'm not fixating on such minor things, I'm just lacking in technical knowledge and yes life is short but you don't just do one thing and wait for it to settle and then move on.
     
Loading...
Similar Threads - bad power strip
  1. puppykickr
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    418
  2. louis2008
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,225
  3. puppykickr
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    1,851
  4. Thfaro
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,293
  5. Marvin P Droid
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    3,220
  6. cpper
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,081
  7. sejwalsakshi
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,816
  8. rekurzion
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    642
  9. Ethan_the_axolotl
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    793
  10. Daniel03929911
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    731

Share This Page

Loading...