1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Could magnets damage my EVO?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by routerunner, Feb 3, 2011.

1. routerunner

routerunner Member

I'm using an old phone case to carry my EVO because it fits perfectly. I'm concerned because there are 2 magnets, one on the closing flap of the case, and one on the case itself. The 2 magnets attract each other to insure the case stays closed. Can these magnets potentially damage my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trader914

trader914 Well-Known Member

If magnets can cause damage, there would have been warnings all over the place stating such. I have not seen any such warnings in the manual or anywhere in the phone. So my guess would be a "no".

3. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert

I wouldn't set my phone on the exposed magnet on the back of a speaker if I was ever in the situation to do so but I don't worry about the relatively weak magnets in a case. I've been using a magnetic case for mine since December with no issues and carried my Moment in the same case for over a year.

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

Powerful magnets can always cause issues...those magnets should not. My hip case has them and I have had no issues.

5. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Doesn't the card dock use a magnet, anyway?

6. Mr. Ed

Some car docks do..others do not..

7. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Right, but doesn't the official dock use a magnet to put it into car mode?

8. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast

How very American of you... lol

There are lots of things that can damage your phone for which there are not "warnings all over the place" FYI

Mr. Ed likes this.
  9. Mr. Ed

yup I think it is one of 4 or 5 that do that.

10. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert

Sorry but I agree with trader on this for something as obvious as magnets in cases. If there was a good chance that the magnets would damage the phone or cause it to lose data there would be a sticker. Thank a lawyer next time you see one if you can catch him in his $200k lambo...

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews