• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Could not connect to Network Printer

ntracs

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
I can connect to the internet using this tablet however I cannot print to the Xerox printer on Windows 10 Network.
I installed the Xerox android printer driver and added IP address assigned to Xerox printer.
After executing a search the Xerox printer could not be found.

I would appreciate some help on this problem

Thank you

We would need more information to help, such as printer model number.

Connecting printers to android/iOS can be a fickle thing at best. Have you searched the play store for a Xerox printer app that will work with your model? I can see 4 apps when I search, maybe try one of these?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just some questions to confirm the basic set up of the local network you're using:
-- Is the printer is connected as a network printer (directly using an Ethernet cable or WiFi connectivity) to the LAN, as opposed to being an indirectly connected, shared-network printer (connected to a PC with printer sharing enabled using a USB cable).
-- Is the IP address assigned to the printer using DHCP (variable) or a manually-assigned address (fixed)?

But the bottom line regarding the Xerox print driver in the Play Store indicates your model (6010n) is not supported. This doesn't bode well as most printers are very proprietary so software/firmware support can be very specific. You might be able to use a workaround, Google's Cloud Print service:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Cloud_Print

Reactions: JAy3001
Upvote 0
the printer is connected to the network via ethernet cable , the ip address is fixed/ I also reviewed all the suggestions above and attempted the 3 different xerox apps located in the play store with the same results
I sounds like my printer is not supported for android printing.

As mentioned in your note there are no drivers available

thanks jay3001, lurker and svim for your help

Upvote 0
Most printers are very proprietary now so if the manufacturer doesn't allow support (driver/firmware) for a product to developers, that makes things a lot more difficult to use that particular printer usable as a universally accessible one. Years ago you could often get by using a generic laserprinter/ghostscript driver to at least have basic printing functionality. Now that printers have all kinds of branded services tied to them, that workaround rarely applies.
I'd still look into setting up that printer using Google's Cloud Print service, unless you're in a situation like a health service organization where things like sending client sensitive data up into miscellaneous online servers isn't an option.
https://www.howtogeek.com/165778/ev...t-printing-from-your-android-phone-or-tablet/

Reactions: JAy3001
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones