1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Could use some help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nordy420, Feb 14, 2011.

1. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Hello All,

I have a hero that is messed up. The phone is totally inaccessible and just hangs at the white HTC screen. The phone will not go into recovery and does not show up on a pc. There is no recognition to a device being connected. The first time I plugged in the phone my PC tried to install drivers and then said FAILED. I unplugged USB and then tried again only this time I held the volume down and powered on and my computer then tried again to install and when I let go of the buttons it said "device has been unplugged." I tried again and held the same buttons but got the failed notification. Any help would be appreciated. I installed adb, but I have no idea how to use it. I have a droid X so I know some of the rooting world, but not much.

Advertisement

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Still having trouble? Do you have root access?

3. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Yes the phone was rooted and yes I still cannot get it to do anything. The phone was rooted with z4root.

4. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Thanks for posting Andy,
    Just so it is clear though, the phone will not move past the white HTC screen. I did get the PC to recognize something was connected but HTC sync will not connect with it, but it will not boot into recovery and so far PC isn't helping.

5. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

OK are you able to get into recovery this way ?? Phone off then hold Volume down and end button at the same time for 2 seconds, then when prompted hit the home button to get into recovery, report back

6. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

No, sometimes when I hold the buttons the screen will go black but then returns to the white screen, but no recovery.

7. DonB

Well the only thing I can think of is you will have to flash the RUU but you need to be able to mount to do so. Give us the history of the phone, is it new, did you root it, etc... and are you sure it is a CDMA phone ?? trying to cover all bases

8. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

The phone has had a previous post and I think it can be found on page 2 of root things root sprint hero. The phone is CDMA. This is not my phone I am only trying to fix it. The phone was rooted with z4root. From what the owner said is he was in the process of flashing something that changed the color text and the phone hung up so he did a hard reset an now the phone WILL NOT load past the white HTC screen. The phone WILL NOT load into recovery either.

9. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Is there any special way to make a PC recognize the phone? I had my PC recognize the phone as a "mass storage device" but would not give me a drive to click on. I know with my droid X motorola released a program called RSDlite, and this is how you can SBF a stock rom. I have not had to use that tool yet, "crosses fingers" but there has to be a way. I have read in numerous forums that Windows XP is a better tool to use as XP recognizes the phone easier, but I am on Win7 and it does recognize that the phone is connected. It just does not give me a drive.

10. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Hello again,
    Ok, using the USBDeview program, I can see that there is a driver labeled "HTC Android Phone USB Device". My PC is recognizing the phone, but I still cannot access the phone, and HTC Sync will not pick up the phone as being connected.

11. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Update: the USBDeview program showed that the device was connected but the system will not mount so HTC sync, nor the ruu cannot find the device. Could this be because I cannot access the phone to toggle USB debugging? Also, my PC gave the device a drive number but when opened shows nothing in the drive, I am assuming because the system will not mount. The phone will also randomly reboot after getting the PC to recognize it. Any suggestions on this yet. Is there any way to toggle USB debugging from adb or something else?

12. DonB

Sorry I posted everything I could think of, I remember that thread also we had tried everything, what you can do is also try to post over @ XDA forum and see if anyone else has any suggestions for you. You can try posting in this section, good luck and keep us posted if you find a solution and if I think of anything else or find something I will let you know, ;)
    Hero CDMA Q&A

13. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Is the phone booted up and running or does it just hang on the white HTC screen? If you turn the phone off and try to boot to recovery and it hangs on the white htc screen, and that's it, then your recovery must be corrupted

14. DonB

If I recall from the OP it simply hangs, we have tried many solutions to help if you recall to no avail.

15. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

I understand that but he still should be able to turn off phone and when he is prompted to boot to recovery, as long as he does not see the red triangle of death, he's still rooted and the recovery is corrupted. My guess is, whoever had the phone, tried to flash clockworkmod 3.0.0.5 and now he can't boot to recovery.

16. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

I know someone who had a similar problem and he uninstalled HTC Sync and reinstalled it and then his handset was recognized. You could give that a try.

If that does not work, I am not sure what to do next. Good luck.

17. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

I am going on along the lines with LB.

Can you see the phone in device manager when you connect your phone to the computer?

If so, give this a shot....
    Connect your phone to your computer, hit computer, system properties, device manager. You should see your phone connected as an android phone. Right click and uninstall drivers for the phone. Unplug your phone.

Then, uninstall HTC sync for your computer, then reboot the computer

Once the computer boots back up, download HTC sync again and set it up and I believe it will ask to reboot computer, go ahead and reboot.

Once the computer boots, plug your phone via usb and the drivers should automatically reinstall.

Then try to run the ruu

18. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Update:
    I am comfortable saying that the problem is the driver. I had everything to where it was saying the device is working properly but device manager does not say android phone it labels it something else, I ran the ruu and instead of just rejecting the process it acted like it was actually verifying the phone but then said it was not connected. How do you manually install the HTC hero driver?

19. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Just do what I said above and see if that works. You should be able to uninstall drivers by right clicking, then unplug the phone and device manager will not recognize the phone

20. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

I am sorry I should have been more specific. I did what you told me to do and I still do not think that it installed the correct drivers. I cannot manually update the drivers either because Windows overrides my command and says that the proper driver is already installed.

21. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

You might be out of luck. It sounds like it wants to work but something is just stopping it.

I hope you can figure it out. I am, at the moment, all out of ideas.

22. DonB

Nothing harder then to fix someones else error, sounds like the previous owner flashed something that was not suppose to be flashed, Again as I mentioned to him I would post over @ XDA and maybe one of the Devs will have a solution there

23. nordy420

nordy420 Newbie

Thank you for the effort given. I wish I knew more about programming and computer language. I can create a device with device manager but I do not where to begin to correlate the phone with the created device. I found a way to create a device and actually had the "My HTC" driver installed but the phone boots into its own device within the manager. If I could only get the phone to read from the legacy device created I think I could get it to work, but I don't know. Thanks again to everyone that put thought into this problem.

24. DonB

NP bro it is not because we didn't try, I still would give posting over @ XDA to get a fresh of new eyes to see if any other brain has a solution for you. ;)

Tags: