• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

count the ways I love Gingerbread

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
So I've been using Gingerbread on my Evo (CM7) for a while, and I keep finding new cool features that are simply awesome.

Aside from all of the well document changes in Gingerbread, I really love a couple of cool features:

1. ability to "lock" the desktop so I don't accidentally drag away an icon into another screen or the trash can, or accidentally keep popping up the "add" menu. This is a huge huge thing for me!

2. I just discovered this the other night - while viewing notifications, I can "swipe" away each notification to remove them, rather than dismiss all, or view each one to dismiss them individually. This is such a cool feature!!! :D

I really liked Froyo, but I'm loving Gingerbread!!! I can't wait til my Epic is upgraded to a good version of Gingerbread. I'll be super content. :)

You should check out the EF02 leak (Gingerbread) for the Epic 4G, seriously, its rather nice and stable from everything I can tell (been running it 1.5 days).
Are you using the stock ROM, or have the devs cooked up a nice rooted ROM based on it? :D

I read about it when it first came out, but was waiting for the devs to cook up nice Roms based on it.

I just showed a buddy the new power widgets in 2.3, simply awesome. My buddy's 2.2 power widget is very basic. He is jealous. :p

Upvote 0
Are you using the stock ROM, or have the devs cooked up a nice rooted ROM based on it? :D

I read about it when it first came out, but was waiting for the devs to cook up nice Roms based on it.

I just showed a buddy the new power widgets in 2.3, simply awesome. My buddy's 2.2 power widget is very basic. He is jealous. :p

I'm just pretty much running stock (rooted obv). I did just flash a deodexed ROM a little while ago, but its still stock. I do know there's is a ROM coming up in the morning by marcusant... and I'm sure other developers are building on it.

I will only be stock as long as I have to :) I can't wait for a custom ROM, I only updated cuz I wanted GB that much.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
* The power notification widgets have one more interesting feature in CM7: if you long-press an icon, it will take you to the settings of that particular icon (for example WiFi settings). :)

* Another cool thing is the possibility to enable a battery percentage icon in the notification bar. :)

* GB gives also a better overview of battery usage in Settings.

* GB allows you also to move more pieces of apps to SD card, thus freeing-up more of internal storage.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
* The power notification widgets have one more interesting feature in CM7: if you long-press an icon, it will take you to the settings of that particular icon (for example WiFi settings). :)

* Another cool thing is the possibility to enable a battery percentage icon in the notification bar. :)

* GB gives also a better overview of battery usage in Settings.

* GB allows you also to move more pieces of apps to SD card, thus freeing-up more of internal storage.
Wow didn't know about the long press thing, very very very cool!!!! :D

Upvote 0
So I've been using Gingerbread on my Evo (CM7) for a while, and I keep finding new cool features that are simply awesome.

Aside from all of the well document changes in Gingerbread, I really love a couple of cool features:

1. ability to "lock" the desktop so I don't accidentally drag away an icon into another screen or the trash can, or accidentally keep popping up the "add" menu. This is a huge huge thing for me!

2. I just discovered this the other night - while viewing notifications, I can "swipe" away each notification to remove them, rather than dismiss all, or view each one to dismiss them individually. This is such a cool feature!!! :D

I really liked Froyo, but I'm loving Gingerbread!!! I can't wait til my Epic is upgraded to a good version of Gingerbread. I'll be super content. :)
I'm pretty sure the features you're talking about are features of CyanogenMod specifically and not Gingerbread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones