• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Couple of Android questions.

m165

Apr 20, 2010
I'm a Maemo user currently, and have great interest in switching to Android, potentially the HTC Desire. I have a few questions before I make the switch:

1) Multi-tasking. How is multi-tasking on Android? Coming from a multi-tasking beast, I'm customed to running multiple things at any one time. What I'd mainly want from Android is to be able to listen to music via Last.fm, browse the internet, check my e-mails, be on MSN / Facebook chat, and possibly have a facebook app / twitter app open without needing to close any of the applications down.

2) As far as I know, Android is based on Linux, therefore open source. Maemo is Linux, and because it's open source, I don't need to install apps from a provided "App Store", like the iPhone. Is this the case with Android, could I make an app, and install it to my own device without needing to upload it to an app store?

3) Transferring music / files to the device; Can I just plug it in and it acts like a USB key, rather than needing any specific software? I would use it to carry large files for work if I needed too.

I think that's it for now!

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the N900 is brilliant at multi-tasking, but as long as I can keep a few apps open and switch easily, then that fits my needs.

I'll be buying the phone on PAYG UK, as the shops where I would get it from don't offer sim free, yet its the same price as sim free prices online. I'll then sell my N900 if I like the Desire, and put my contract sim card in it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones