• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Couple of Car App's?

JLneonhug

Lurker
Sep 4, 2009
Hiya, guys and girls,

Im kinda new to the forum so please go easy on me if i've said or done something stupid. :p

Im new to the HTC Hero (G2), am a new proud owner of the G2 (5 days?), loving the website, Im getting so many useful tips tricks and apps on here. Its great.

However the two main important thing im looking for originally (before i got sidetracked by Gmote, ShopSavvy and other funkeh Apps) is some sort of

1) GPS Navigation - I've got And-Nav2 but it seems a little.. slow... I shall try it again tonight to give it another go, but are there any which have preinstalled maps? Or better yet, could you get Garmin on there without doing this flash ROM thing (still new to that so i wont touch it yet until i get more confident with the phone). (I am UK Based)

Second is In-Car gadgets, I.e. speedometer/gps/0-60 times/g-force/bhp etc etc. I've seen some bits on Youtube for the Iphone and it looks pretty good, Im not expecting it to be 100% precise but nevertheless it'll be a nice little tool for in the car. I've found trackmaster via the forums but is that the ONLY one ava. atm? if so, can anyone give any detailed enlightenment about it?
Link: Trackmaster - Welcome

If there are any other gadgets In-Car that would be great to share also! (I've just downloaded Car Mode, which sounds good tho havent tried yet)

Any suggestions,thoughts, are very welcome. Thanks for reading!

I use CoPilot (UK, IRL) for satnav on a stock Magic.
Some people like it, some people hate it. I love it - bargain price, accurate navigation, has had a few updates since release that have resolved the occasional crash that bugged me on first install. I've used it for about 10 major journeys so far and it hasn't put a foot wrong for me. YMMV.
NB: it will burn through battery though so get a car adaptor.

Other gadgets..

Trapster: crowd-sourced free speed camera / traps detection. I use it in conjunction with my Snooper Neo dedicated gps detector whenever not using CoPilot.

Also worth mentioning is a decent holder. If you don't have one, get a Brodit mount and holder - holder is phone specific, mount is car specific. I've been using them for about 4 years now, and the first thing I do on buying a new phone is order the appropriate holder.

HTH

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones