1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Couple of New User Questions ROOT,Bloat,battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by unspankable, Aug 1, 2011.

1. unspankable

unspankable Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    BC
    Hey AF community!
    I'm a new scared android user and as such I want an exact response so I apologize if I haven't done as much searching as I should,(I did LOOK though). I nearly sha8 my pants when I rooted and unlocked my phone to find it wouldn't turn on... but that passed.

Anyways!

Question time!

- Can I upgrade my firmware with the phone Rooted with Kies?

- I cant seem to uninstall carrier bloatware with ES file explorer even though Im rooted. Are there different types of Root, Some better than others?

- Can I uninstall Bloatware in the android Env. without ADB/ABD(?) for instance?

- If I want extra battery life should I look into buying Samsung's extended S2 battery pack, or get a big Mugen pack?

- How is Mugen's quality?

Thank you for your time, effort and eloquence,
    <3,
    unspankable

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

generally, if u root, u should upgrade to one of the latest firmwares before u root.. and thats done via Odin, not via kies.. n after that, u need to use Odin to flash newer firmwares, not Kies..
    if u want to use kies, u have to flash back to the latest firmware thats available ON KIES. then u can update via kies, but i dont think u'd want to. kies is a piece of crap, lol.. ur much better off using Odin, especially if ur a rooted user

im not sure wat ES file explorer is, but to uninstall bloatware etc, i use titanium backup. that works great. im sure ur root is the same kinda root that we all have!

im not sure about ur other questions. battery life on KG3 firmware is decent. hopefully the KG6 that im using is even better. i can go a day with pretty heavy usage and charge overnight. im happy with that!

unspankable likes this.
  3. unspankable

unspankable Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    BC
    What is the latest firmware available? Think I could bother you for a link?

Thanks very much for your reply btw

my phone-
    BaseBand: I9100MUGKG2
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKDD-CL161513 root@DELL103 #2

Build:UGKG2

4. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    go for mugen 3200 :) im w8ing for one to come today so can`t tell my opinion yet but i read many opinions on various forums and ppl are not complaining ;) will try mine and i`ll give some info if interested...

5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

looks like u didnt flash a new kernel after rooting with the insecure XWKDD :)

the newest firmware is KG6, thats wat im using and it seems good so far :)

click here and follow the instructions. u need to download the XXKG6 firmware (in the frankenstein section) as well as the stock kernel..

flash the XXKG6 firmware. then flash the insecure kernel (XWKDD). i assume u have it, since thats wat ur using (and i dont have the link :D).
    then root using superoneclick (thats how u did it before, i assume?)
    then, flash the stock KG6 kernel back. and u wont have the yellow triangle on boot.

if u dont understand anything, u should be able to follow the instructions on that link, its very easy ;) especially if u've done it before

6. unspankable

unspankable Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    BC
    Thanks a bunch man. I really appreciate it. Ill get this all done ASAP. Does this explain why Im having trouble removing bloatware as well or is it unrelated?

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

no prob :D i think its unrelated, u should be able to remove bloatware on any firmware if ur rooted. like i said, maybe the app ur using is wrong, try titanium backup, there's an uninstall option for any app on ur phone. that should do the trick :)