• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Couple of questions about continuing my rooted voyage :)

Tboltfan25

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2011
NJ
Just a couple of "how to" type questions that I would like to know about to try and continue making this phone really show me what it is capable of...

First thing I would like to do is Flash Das BAMF, I have read a lot of good things about it, it is a GB, Sense 3.0 ROM which is very appealing to me, and I think that's the first one I would like to try..I can no longer find a link to the ROM though, and the TeamBamf forums will not let me register for some reason, I keep getting an error message..

Another thing I am interested in is the overclocking/underclocking that can be done...I would love to take a stab at this, and was wondering how I can achieve this...

I am also trying to get Skype with Video working on my TB as well, and can't seem to find a link to this anywhere either...

I think that is it for now, if anyone can help answer one/all of these questions for me, I would definitely appreciate it. Everyone has been so helpful thus far, and I can't thank everyone here at AF enough...

Thanks in advance,

TboltFan25

as far as over/underclocking, if bamf doesnt have built in settings for min/max you can download an app called setcpu. it will let you set your min and max processor speeds,and will let you set a variety of different profiles. however,kernels are becoming so developed and complex,that most developers encourage you only to set the min/max values or dont use it at all,as the profiles can cause conflict with the kernel hurt overall performance.

i used to set all kinds of profiles :eek: anymore the only thing i do is if i think the processor is running to fast sometimes while the screen is off,i will set a screen off profile,but thats it.

i dont use skype,so hopefully someone else can provide some links for that :)

Reactions: Tboltfan25
Upvote 0
as far as over/underclocking, if bamf doesnt have built in settings for min/max you can download an app called setcpu. it will let you set your min and max processor speeds,and will let you set a variety of different profiles. however,kernels are becoming so developed and complex,that most developers encourage you only to set the min/max values or dont use it at all,as the profiles can cause conflict with the kernel hurt overall performance.

i used to set all kinds of profiles :eek: anymore the only thing i do is if i think the processor is running to fast sometimes while the screen is off,i will set a screen off profile,but thats it.

i dont use skype,so hopefully someone else can provide some links for that :)

Kernels was my other question, should I change my Kernel? what exactly do they do/control/effect on my phone? I am a COMPLETE noob bc I know nothing about kernels what so ever.

Upvote 0
Kernels was my other question, should I change my Kernel? what exactly do they do/control/effect on my phone? I am a COMPLETE noob bc I know nothing about kernels what so ever.

BAMF 3.0 installs a new kernel when you flash the ROM. It has all three governors built in for setting cpu speed--that is what I am playing with right now.

Edit: Look at the Das BAMF Toolkit app. That is where all the goodies are.

Upvote 0
I will definitely check it out, I am downloading it as we speak...Correct me if I am wrong, but you can alter your Kernel via flashing a different one similar to ROMS to have different effects correct? Like kernels for more performance or for better battery life and such, I was just wondering what some good match ups with BAMF are that way I could maybe look into flashing a different kernel down the road as well...

Upvote 0
I will definitely check it out, I am downloading it as we speak...Correct me if I am wrong, but you can alter your Kernel via flashing a different one similar to ROMS to have different effects correct? Like kernels for more performance or for better battery life and such, I was just wondering what some good match ups with BAMF are that way I could maybe look into flashing a different kernel down the road as well...

I am a noob, too, lol. I am just about an hour or so ahead of you so you can benefit from my searching, etc.

For my lifestyle, battery life is not much of a concern. I work from home, and have toddlers, so I am pretty much never away from a charger for very long.

Upvote 0
I am a noob, too, lol. I am just about an hour or so ahead of you so you can benefit from my searching, etc.

For my lifestyle, battery life is not much of a concern. I work from home, and have toddlers, so I am pretty much never away from a charger for very long.

lol, I would definitely still like to try and improve my battery life, I am a student, and I work two jobs so sometimes being close to a charger gets difficult..after i see what DAS BAMF does, I'll probably post a seperate thread on Kernels so one of the vets on here can help me out...your running Bamf now right? how are you liking it? any problems with it?

Upvote 0
lol, I would definitely still like to try and improve my battery life, I am a student, and I work two jobs so sometimes being close to a charger gets difficult..after i see what DAS BAMF does, I'll probably post a seperate thread on Kernels so one of the vets on here can help me out...your running Bamf now right? how are you liking it? any problems with it?

I got stuck in 3G messing around with wireless tethering. I noticed that the built-in wireless tether says 3G. I may have checked it and unchecked it. I decided to use the wifi tether from the market (note: enable airplane mode, then re-enable wifi and use wifi to get it, and other Verizon blocked apps, from the market). I restarted to get back to 4G--I should have tried just toggling airplane mode. Switching modes via the bamf tools did not work--I even tried the forced 4G mode (LTE only) and got no connection at all. I did get everything working properly though, and got 10Mbps via speedtest.net over the tether. Not fast enough to unplug from a gigabit LAN and FiOS, but better than what you get at a crowded starbucks on the ATT wifi.

I was able to get google voice mail working, too. It seemed like it was hanging during the setup, but I rebooted and tested it and it works fine. VZW voicemail is not supported, so you have to use another voicemail service.

My next task is getting ready to calibrate the battery, then bed so I can get up for the gym in the AM.

Upvote 0
Calibrate the battery? how is that done? and does that improve life?
ask 10 different people and youll likely get 10 different answers ;)

all i do is charge till it says 100. boot to recovery and wipe battery stats. when it reboots,if its less than 100 charge back up to 100. other folks have procedures that involve multiple charges and discahrges,a full moon,and swinging around a dead chicken :eek: i dont have the patients for most of them ;)

it can give the illusion of better battery life,becasue it should stop the guage form dropping fast from 100 to a point,then sloowing down,but all its really doing is making your battery widget(if used) and icon in the status bar more accurately represent the actual charge.

i dont do it very much,just if i notice an issue. i just wiped mine as i noticed it would drop almost imediately from a full charge to about 90%,and the battery temps never went above 77.7 :thinking: wiping the bat stats as i described above seems to have fixed both :) now my widget stays at 100 for a bit and seems to discharge uniformally.

Upvote 0
one last thing... bamf 3.0 is a neat rom,especiallyh if youre a sense fan. just dont expect spectacular battery life. none of the GB leak roms are very easy on the battery,so if you really love sense you might consider froyo until we get another GB leak.

any rom based on a stock rom,even "desensed" versions is going to have a huge footprint and a large,complex framework,and thus not get as good of battery life.

ive gotten the best yet on AOSP roms(currently on cm7),wich are smaller,simpler,and IMO run faster.

my 2 cents :)

Upvote 0

If battery life is what you're after I would stay away from ROMs that are based on GB or the BAMF sense 3.0 rom. I've tried both GingerRemix 2.1 and BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4 and they have more bells and whistles than some of the "older" ROMs, but I believe the overall code is still somewhat buggy since it is based on a leak. I wouldn't expect a bug free GB/Sense 3.0 ROM until there's an official release to the public.

I've been using Das BAMF Remix 1.8.6 and it's become my goto ROM. It's very stable, has plenty of themed extras out there and the battery life is decent if used correctly

[FROYO] Das BAMF Remix 1.8.6 | MR2 Radio and Custom Kernel Support

I also hear that CyanogenMod is very good as well, but I haven't used it yet.

Upvote 0
I was going to make the point about sense and battery life, too. But like I said, battery life is not much of a concern for me at this point. I have two extra batteries and a charger if I need them, which would be a rare thing. So for me, I'd rather have a flashy ROM with cool animations, etc. and carry an extra battery in my pocket a few times a year.

FWIW, I ran the calibrate battery app this AM, and my battery only dropped from 100 to 99 in the hour and a half it sat in the locker at the gym this AM. I think that is better than my old work blackberry, lol.

Upvote 0
thats basically what i do... i have 3 spare batteries and a charger. i take a battery with me when i leave in the morning and pop it in when my phone shuts off :D

i dont mean to sound like im criticizing the bamf rom,its sweet and stuff like that is definately cool to play with,and with the extra batteries the life isnt a big deal to me any more either. i just dont want anyone to have false expectations and be dissapointed.

FWIW,running cm7 i hardly ever need my spare battery before i get home anymore :cool:

Upvote 0
I will definitely be checking out a few different ROMS...so far so good on DAS BAMF...only issue i keep having is an error message every so often that says process.google.process.gapps. stopped working...(might not be exact but thats close) I am not sure what is causing this, but thats the only issue i have found thus far...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones