1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Couple of questions?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ZingXao, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member

If I were to buy a 1GHz CPU enabled phone now (sim free), how long would it be before it would be completely out of date and apps etc are only catered for dual core processors?

Secondly, is there a major difference between Super LCD and Super AMOLED screens?

Also, is the Gorilla Glass screen superior to the screen that's on the Nexus S, scratch resistant-wise?

... still unsure on whether to get the Incredible S or the Nexus S.

lukeerb37 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert

1GHz CPU phones are completely fine for at least the next year or two, provided you don't have a lot of requirements to do heavy gaming and CPU intensive stuff on the phones. I don't do gaming so my 1GHz CPU phones should be fine for at least 2 years, but I still like to get the dual core phones because the UI is a bit smoother.

So it really depends on your needs. For many people 1GHz CPU phones should be fine for at least the next couple of years.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

My 1Ghz single core phone is doing fine and pretty smooth, until I start to try playing those heavy 3D games. Basically, for almost everything except gaming, single cores would be doing fine.

4. ZingXao

Right, well that answers that question! I'd most likely be keeping the phone for around two years so I'm guessing the 1GHz CPU would do me fine. If I were to play any games, it would most likely only be the occasional Angry Birds.

What about the screens? Super LCD and Super AMOLED?

And what's the Nexus S's screen like for scratch resistance. I know the Incredible S should be alright cuz of the Gorilla Glass.

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

screens are preferences... go look.. and what you like is .. what you like.

for 2 yrs... in 6 months.. you going to feel a little weak with a single core 1ghz.

if you have too.. it will be "fine". but games next year will start to really get resource intensive. even simple games..will start to have a lot of visual enhancements.

6. ZingXao

Yeah, the other thing is I can't really afford a dual core phone. At the moment I have an Optimus One, and it has problems where it restarts/crashes all the time, and loses texts. I'm on pay as you go, so I'd be getting a sim free phone. The Incredible S is

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Samsung made Nexus S, so it wouldn't really come with Sense even if it had a skinned option.

Going side by side, a SuperLCD screen is already a brilliant screen. The colors may not be as vivid as that on an AMOLED screen, or as legible in sunlight, but that doesn't change th fact that the display of an SLCD is already great. Indoors its enough to go head to head with an SuperAMOLED, with preferences with color, saturation and other picture display qualities perhaps the only determining factor. It loses once you go outdoors though, since the AMOLED screens are able to retain quality display even in sunlight, while LCDs tend to get washed out.