• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Couple of quick questions

My non-tech savvy friend has a pre-pay phone w/Verizon and, after playing with my Droid, wants to get a smart phone. I'm thinking a DInc may be the way to go for him. He will be using mostly it for Maps/navigation I think, and web browsing for news (yeah, he doesn't know RSS, I'll show him. lol).

Anyway, 2 questions:
How is the battery life, really? I've read all sorts of different opinions. He won't be a power-user by any stretch of the imagination but will get frustrated if it doesn't last long.
He will be outside a lot, how is the display in the sun?

I'm not worried that it is nearing end of life or maybe won't get updates or isn't the latest and greatest, none of that matters to him. I want a reliable phone that will do the basics...that's really all he is after.
Oh, he would be a candidate for an iPhone at some level, but I just can't let that happen!

He doesn't know it yet but I am going to try to port his pre-pay to Google Voice and set that up for him. I'll just tell him it's the new way to get voice mail. Has anyone heard of a successful pre-pay port?

Thoughts, tips and tricks welcome! :)

As far as the battery goes, I get great life. I am using the stock battery and I can usually get 12 hours or so of use. But I am constantly on the internet, twitter, and facebook. Obviously, using GPS will run the battery down a little quicker, but it's nothing a cheapie car charger cant fix. I can usually get at least 10% of juice on a 15 minute plug-in session.

I keep my display on like 1% unless it's sunny outside, then I can up it to 75% or so and see just fine. I have a widget on my home screen and am able to adjust the brightness even when I'm already in the sun and cant see the screen too well.

And for the RSS, you probably already know this, but Google has developed a Reader app, so he can add news feeds to his google reader on the computer and have that at his fingertips on the phone.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I guess I'll play the other side of the card. My battery was not satisfactory and ended up getting a 1800mAh battery. I had to charge the battery at least once a day no matter how much I used it. I can now go a day plus without charge. I now don't have any issues worrying about when and if my battery is gonna die. And this battery actually fits with the original back.

Sounds like he/she will be using the phone similar to me. Some games here and there, internet browsing and texting. I don't get may phone calls, usually just texting. Depending on how he will be browsing the internet, if watching videos, heavy flash sites, will drain the battery rather fast. I do recommend and bigger capacity battery.

The screen outside in the sun is very hard to read. You need some shade to get anything accomplished. Although I do have a Zagg screen protector which may add to the glare.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones