1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Couple of S-off and Rooting Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saltire, Oct 6, 2014.

1. saltire

saltire Android Expert

So now a happy M8 owner. Been a while since my last HTC so have a couple of questions.

1 - in terms of the running order, have I got this right - run Sunshine for S-off, then fastboot flash recovery, then flash SuperSU?

2 - what recovery do you folks recommend? I see there's a Philz for the M8 but since the dev is no longer actively developing it is TWRP better bet?

3 - just checking is the international version just called One M8 (to make absolutely sure I get right recovery).

Cheers folks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

1. I honestly can't see a problem running it another way. I ran it Unlock Bootloader, Custom Recovery (TWRP), SuperSU and finally got S-Off. I think the main point is to be running stock to gain S-Off.

2.Seen someone write somewhere that TWRP is what a lot of devs seem to recommend.

3. It's just the GSM version, as long as you get that I can't see how it would effect it. Tbh I don't think I even checked, just went head first into it (just asking to brick my phone :p).

scotty85 and saltire like this.
  3. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Just thought I can skip an extra step with Sunshine doing the unlock anyway ;) thanks mate

4. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

Aha I didnt realise that, that makes life easier :thumb:

5. remicks

remicks Well-Known Member

Don't be discouraged if firewater s-off doesn't work right the first time (or 10 times in my case). If you can afford the $25 then by all means sunshine away, if you're broke try firewater using BOTH root methods (weaksauce and temproot) even though it says only use 1. I had to root via weaksauce and then use temproot to get adb to recognize SU properly, after which firewater ran fine for me.

Just my 2 cents :)

6. techsavvy01

techsavvy01 Well-Known Member

There's still hope for me :)

7. techsavvy01

techsavvy01 Well-Known Member

There's no hope for me, now off to sunshine or nothing :(

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews