• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Couple questions about backing up with CWM and Titanium

jackdubl

Android Expert
May 18, 2010
Topeka, KS
First, what actually gets backed up when backing up through CWM? If I restore will my phone go back exactly as it was, e.g., all of the custom folders I've placed on my home screens(with apps inside) will still be there? Does it also backup app data(like Titanium does)?

Second, Titanium, I think "backup all user apps" is self explanatory. My question is about "backup new user apps and new versions". If I first backup all user apps, then later I just backup new apps and versions, does that mean when I do a restore that all of the older user apps will not restore to their current state, but instead restore to their state when I backed up all user apps? In other words, "backup all user apps" is the only way to ensure that all of my latest data gets backed up(and restored)? If so, Titanium is really most useful when you will immediately flash a new rom after backing up, because waiting to flash a rom allows your apps to generate more, unbackedup data(thus requiring another Titanium backup if you want to restore the latest data)?

First, what actually gets backed up when backing up through CWM? If I restore will my phone go back exactly as it was, e.g., all of the custom folders I've placed on my home screens(with apps inside) will still be there? Does it also backup app data(like Titanium does)?

Second, Titanium, I think "backup all user apps" is self explanatory. My question is about "backup new user apps and new versions". If I first backup all user apps, then later I just backup new apps and versions, does that mean when I do a restore that all of the older user apps will not restore to their current state, but instead restore to their state when I backed up all user apps? In other words, "backup all user apps" is the only way to ensure that all of my latest data gets backed up(and restored)? If so, Titanium is really most useful when you will immediately flash a new rom after backing up, because waiting to flash a rom allows your apps to generate more, unbackedup data(thus requiring another Titanium backup if you want to restore the latest data)?

Cwm backs up your phone exact how it is when you make that backup everything, data, home screens, cache.

Titanium backs up apps and app data. Is you choose back up new then it will only backup the new apps. If you restore a backup it will restore from the most recent time you backed up that app

Upvote 0
I personally only use the batch backup/restore functions of TiB. They are accessible from the menu button, and give you the most control over how backups are made. I ONLY backup downloaded apps and app data, nothing else. just saves me from having to re-download apps and keeps my data. It also includes side-loaded apps like the skype with working video app. I find the automatic functions of TiB to be more trouble than they are worth.

When I change ROMs, I do the following:

• Charge to 100%
  • Update all market apps
  • Do a backup all new apps and app data in TiB (only backs up apps that need it)
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Do a nandroid backup
  • Factory reset
  • Clear cache (never have found out if this is needed since factory reset seems to inlclude a "format /cache" command)
  • Clear Dalvik cache
  • Flash ROM
  • Flash gapps if needed
  • Optionally flash kernel
  • Optionally flash vipermod
  • Reboot into system
  • ***Let the ROM cook for a few minutes after reboot***
  • Do android and/or sense setup
  • Restore apps via batch process in TiB
  • Sigh, and redo all of the wallpapers, widgets, lockscreen, etc.
  • Sigh, and reset up swype (swype will need to be relicensed).

Upvote 0
I personally only use the batch backup/restore functions of TiB. They are accessible from the menu button, and give you the most control over how backups are made. I ONLY backup downloaded apps and app data, nothing else. just saves me from having to re-download apps and keeps my data. It also includes side-loaded apps like the skype with working video app. I find the automatic functions of TiB to be more trouble than they are worth.

When I change ROMs, I do the following:

• Charge to 100%[\b]
    [*]Update all market apps
    [*]Do a backup all new apps and app data in TiB (only backs up apps that need it)[\b]
    [*]Reboot into recovery
    [*]Do a nandroid backup
    [*]Factory reset
    [*]Clear cache (never have found out if this is needed since factory reset seems to inlclude a "format /cache" command)
    [*]Clear Dalvik cache
    [*]Flash ROM
    [*]Flash gapps if needed
    [*]Optionally flash kernel
    [*]Optionally flash vipermod
    [*]Reboot into system
    [*]***Let the ROM cook for a few minutes after reboot***
    [*]Do android and/or sense setup
    [*]Restore apps via batch process in TiB
    [*]Sigh, and redo all of the wallpapers, widgets, lockscreen, etc.
    [*]Sigh, and reset up swype (swype will need to be relicensed).

1. Is it important to charge all the way to 100%?

2. You said backup new apps and data only backs up apps that need it. Does this mean if I have an old game app that was already backed up, but I have progressed in the game since the backup, doing a backup of new apps will also backup the new game data, even though the game app is not a new app?

Upvote 0
1. Is it important to charge all the way to 100%?

2. You said backup new apps and data only backs up apps that need it. Does this mean if I have an old game app that was already backed up, but I have progressed in the game since the backup, doing a backup of new apps will also backup the new game data, even though the game app is not a new app?

If you have a spare battery or external charger, then no, it is not that important to charge all the way up. It is just as security blanket in case you run into to issues.

I think it checks the data, but I am not positive. I have not noticed losing progress in alchemy (the only game I play that needs persistent data). You can always back everything up instead.

Reactions: jackdubl
Upvote 0
If you have a spare battery or external charger, then no, it is not that important to charge all the way up. It is just as security blanket in case you run into to issues.

I think it checks the data, but I am not positive. I have not noticed losing progress in alchemy (the only game I play that needs persistent data). You can always back everything up instead.
I have three stock batteries and two chargers, so I usually just load a charged battery(but they aren't at exactly 100% because they've been sitting). Still, is 80% ok?

Upvote 0

It doesn't, I have lost data/progress by just doing the backup new apps and updated versions. Alchemy may store the progress on the SD card which would be there even if you uninstalled the app and reinstalled. I have a sudoku game that does this, I didn't realize it did until I rooted and didn't lose progress with it but I did with most other games/apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones