1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Couple Root Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pEktaS, May 2, 2011.

1. pEktaS

pEktaS Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    I have been reading around and cant really find clear cut answers on some things and im afraid im gonna screw something up so i wanna get some answers before i do anything

1. I originally did the gingerbread update (.588) without being rooted then i used gingerbreak later to root, Can I install roms/themes or do I need another version of gb?
    2. I see there is a .591 version out and other versions of .588 out, what are the deodexed versions? I guess what does deodexed mean?
    3. I see themes and people talking about things such as apex, liberty, etc....what are those?
    4. Finally, whats the difference between a rom and theme?

Sorry, im extremely new to this and have been reading rooolers guide and forums and such but im struggling to completely grasp it completely

Thanks

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    ok roms eliminate the majority of moto blur, and only have the bare essentials installed to keep it running, it will run smoother, and it changes the way it looks, and performs
    themes just change the look of the particular rom, giving it the look you prefer more.
    there are deodexed versions out there for .588 and .591
    but to let you know there are no roms out for .591 yet, im not yet sure if there will be, considering p3 keeps releasing leaked versions of GB and the devs have to go back and redo their roms, and go back through all that work to make it compatible.
    i do not know what the term for deodex means, i just know without being deodex you cannot theme your phone... though i could be wrong

pEktaS likes this.
  3. pEktaS

pEktaS Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Also, when i go to put the deodexed version of .588 onto my phone using clockwork i keep reading about format cache and data or something what exactly does that mean is it as simple as just choosing the format cache and format data/factory reset on the clockwork menu?

4. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    you must perform a factory data reset(wipe data)
    and wipe cache

its how your able to install over certain things, and it prevents you from bricking your phone

pEktaS likes this.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Android Al, pEktaS and VoidedSaint like this.
  6. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    glad you posted that, but you must realize that if your not very understanding about android software or linux, you really wont know what any of this means.

:p

scary alien likes this.
  7. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    lol, but I recently stayed in a Holiday Inn Express...:D ;) :)

Yeah, I know what you mean...it just takes time for all the terms and concepts to begin to coalesce.

My Android journey has been kind of a slow immersion type of thing...over time, stuff slowly starts to sink in...(and I've been doing this computer stuff for more years than I care to admit :p). I thought the authors did a pretty good job of explaining things though (kudos to them since they phrased things much better than I could have).

Cheers!

8. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Male
    VW mechanic
    Tacoma, Washington
    Just like boiling a frog... If you throw a frog in boiling water, he'll jump out immediately, but if you put a frog in water that he's used to, and turn up the heat very slowly, you can eventually boil him. I have no idea why you would want to do this, but apparently, it is possible.
    I guess what this means is; don't try to understand everything all at once, just read up on stuff and try it out at your own pace, it will be way more enjoyable.