• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shamrock13

Android Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010
Well, I download this app called System Panel, and I was sitting in it and it monitors your resources and memory and CPU clock. Well, I was watching the CPU and it fluctuates a hell of a lot. Apparently, just using the touchscreen alon makes your CPU jump to around 700 mhz. Think about how often that happens whilst you use the phone.

Download it and try it out. Maybe this is what is causing the battery problems? I mean its obviously just a completely wild guess, but it looks as though the CPU is never EVER idle and always fluctuating. Wouldn't it make sense and be more power efficient to have it sit at a low clock whilst texting and doing things that don't involve intense power? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Just thought I would share something interesting. :)

I'm just saying, all i did in system panel was scroll up and down and the CPU jumped from ~250 all the way to about ~780 mhz. I don't understand why something like that would cause it to spike. I tried it a few times and let it calm down and it worked every time.

it's just how it works. if you want the phone to be fast then the processor needs to be fast and react quickly.

Upvote 0
People want all the pretty graphics to be silky-smooth when you scroll across your homescreen, that's one of the main advantages of a fast processor. What's the point in having a 1 ghz processor if you aren't going to use it...

so your saying that if you use your phone, then it will react to being used?

;)

I'm just saying, I didn't think it'd need almost all of the processor just to scroll up and down. I guess I just didn't know how much power Android actually uses/needs. This is my first Android phone, and I'm grabbing at strings here to see if there is any issue for the battery. :p

It was just a question. Don't kill me. :(

Upvote 0
I'm just saying, I didn't think it'd need almost all of the processor just to scroll up and down. I guess I just didn't know how much power Android actually uses/needs. This is my first Android phone, and I'm grabbing at strings here to see if there is any issue for the battery. :p

Can i kill you with hugs?

Upvote 0

Smooth scrolling apparently takes a decent amount of CPU load. Google "scrolling cpu load" and you'll see the issue exists in lots of programs, including most modern web browsers. No reason your phone would be different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones