1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CPU Tuner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cgminardi, Sep 30, 2011.

1. cgminardi

cgminardi Lurker
    None

Sep 12, 2011
    I didn't see anything in here about using a CPU tuner of any kind with rooted phones, especially the Commando, and this can make a huge improvement in battery life. I gained upwards of 50% of battery life just by installing one and setting it up quickly.

1) You need to have rooted your phone (Super One Click) and install "CPU Tuner" from the Android Market. It's free and does everything you need. If you want a paid version, check out SetCPU.

2) I'll assume you'll be using CPU Tuner but it's functionally identical (and almost visually) identical to SetCPU. Now go into your applications and launch it

3) A screen is going to pop up asking you to select your experience level or your desired level of control. Choose Expert or whichever gives you the most control (it's the bottom-most option on the list). We're in charge of the phone's processing now.

4) You will be taken to the CPU Tuner home screen, which is the Current tab. Jump over to the Profiles tab and go through the entire list, doing the following:

a - click each profile
    b - under the Services list, set ALL of them to "leave unchanged"
    c - set the Governor to "Normal"
    d - under Frequencies, set Max to "806 Mhz" and Min to "245 Mhz"
    e - press the menu button and hit Save

5) Go back into the Current tab and make sure Auto is selected for the Profile.

6) Go into the Virtual Governors tab and click through each entry doing the following:

a - select an item and change the Governor setting to "ondemand"
    b - click the menu button and click Save

7) Done

You will gain an incredible amount of battery life without noticing any hit to performance in this way. This lies in the virtual governor's ability to slow down your processor for low performance tasks (ie texting, making calls, or with the screen locked doing nothing) to conserve battery.

Note 1: I would not recommend going below 245 MHz for any CPU setting. An example is the lock screen. Going to the minimum speed will make the phone incredibly sluggish when unlocking it. Keeping it at 245 MHz will have no noticeable impact.

Note 2: This is an extremely CONSERVATIVE set up for a CPU governing program, designed to give you the most battery life with the least noticeable impact and least amount of tinkering. If you are a power user, you can do much, much more with CPU Tuner than I have written here. I will post more in a follow-up explaining all of the functionality later but now I have to get to class. As another point for power users, it is impossible to brick your phone or cause any damage tinkering with this program. The worst that will happen is you'll drain battery or have a really slow phone for a few seconds... go crazy playing with it!

Advertisement

2. Ren Stimpy

Ren Stimpy Newbie
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    I'm interested in this but also a bit skittish. I have a friend who has a commando and his phone got bricked using SetCPU. The first restart after setting a default profile in SetCPU his phone would no longer turn on. Press the power button and the screen would light but nothing (black screen). He had to pay full price for a new phone because of this. I realize this is CPU tuner you are talking about but you say they are basically the same thing with same functions. I know you said you can't brick your phone with it but I would like to hear if anyone else is using it before I will risk it.

3. bigdanmeys13

bigdanmeys13 Member
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Heavy Equipment Operator
    Ohio
    The CPU on this phone comes stock with these settings. Our kernel does not support overclocking. Min/Max levels of 245/806and "on-demand" governor are stock.

4. Ren Stimpy

Ren Stimpy Newbie
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    When you say it comes stock does that mean the the phone already clocks the processor down where you don't need an app?
    And about what happened to my friend. I was there with him while all this was happening so it isn't just hear say. He installed SetCPU. Used the default profile which was 245/806 as you state. He had made no other changes since the previous reboot of the phone other than install SetCPU. He rebooted and nothing. You could tell the screen backlight was on but that is all it did. I'm not saying it will do it to your phone but it makes me not want to try it unless several people post they are using it with no problems.

5. cgminardi

cgminardi Lurker
    None

Sep 12, 2011
    Wasn't aware of this since the first time I went in, those settings differed but that could be the programs own doing. I'm more interested in the aspect of underclocking to save battery life since overclocking this phone would wipe the battery faster than I'd ever care to even if it were possible.

To clarify Ren Stimpy, yes, he is saying that it automatically clocks down when the processor is not needed to be running at full speed. As for your friend, I have no idea what happened there other than possibly a conflict between what SetCPU wanted to do and what another installed program wanted to do, and I'd tend to think a root level program for it to be completely bricked like that.

I'll post more details about underclocking when appropriate soon enough. I'm more interested right now in the Gingerbread update, what's being done with that, and whether it's even worth it but let's not derail this thread.