1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General CPU Usage 35%?!?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by asianguy335, Sep 10, 2011.

1. asianguy335

asianguy335 Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    NOLA
    So thus far i've been very very disappointed in the battery life and i think i've found out why, although the real reason is still a mystery to me. every other battery breakdown i've seen posted has typically shown the CPU as being the least culpable for drain, usually hovering around 3-4%

yet on my bionic i'm getting as high as 35%, which to put it in perspective is about 5 hours and 50 minutes of usage on a total 10 1/2 hour battery life where the display has consumed a paltry 4% and wifi was nearly entirely OFF. something clearly is wrong here.

here is the full report:

10 hrs 30 min on battery

Android OS: 35% 5 hrs 49 minutes

Cell Standby: 29% 10 hours 30 minutes, Time without signal 0%

Phone Idle: 25% 8 hrs 57 minutes

Display: 4% 1 hr 10 minutes

WiFi: 3% 56min

Voice Calls: 3% 4 minutes

Speed Test: 2% 41 seconds

And there you have it. Some things to note, yes i am rooted, yes i have removed a lot of verizon bloatware, i have a few basic widgets running, namely beautiful widgets home, photos, world clock, shazam, pandora, and power control. THAT'S IT.

battery mode: performance (not that it used much)
    screen brightness: auto
    tactile feeback: off

so what in the name of effed-up-robot-consciousness could be hogging so much cpu power?? for crissake, 5 hours??

Advertisement

2. 04stangman

04stangman Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    I dont know either... but the battery has me pissed off too!!!

3. PhilD

PhilD Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Southern NJ
    after getting my bionic, i rooted it (one click method) and installed a subset of the same market apps i have been running on my Droid X for a year now. the only change i made to the phone was to freeze the updater using Titanium Backup Pro.

twice, i found the phone to be hot and completely unresponsive to pressing the power button (so i couldn't check CPU utilization, but i assume it was high since the phone was hot). after pulling the battery and rebooting, i noticed excessive battery drain.

i did a factory reset and installed only a handful of market apps (i did not re-root), just waiting to see if this problem recurs...

4. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    About the CPU being stuck at 35% usage when doing nothing on the phone: It has to be an app you have installed or possibly(but unlikely) have something to do with a setting you changed. This isn't an attribute of the stock Bionic configuration or stock software or everyone would have the issue.

5. 04stangman

04stangman Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    I dissagree. Its the cell stanby eating my battery.

6. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    I'm talking about the phone having 35% CPU usage at idle, not cell standby, sorry for not being more clear.