• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cracked Galaxy S8 Screen

Slightly OT:

I'm hearing about this cracked screen business a lot lately. First it was Square trade a phone insurance company who used robots and rated it medium high-risk for cracking on the first drop but everybody was like "Their just trying to sell insurance". Then Alex Dobie from Android Central and Windows Central contributor Matt Brown relating the tale of Our first Galaxy S8 smashed after just five days: How to avoid the same fate. Today I see that Jamie Rivera over at Pocketnow managed to crack his with a little drop off his lap while getting out of a car last week.

Here is mt hypothesis. If a manufacturer produces a phone where the screen extends higher that the bezels the consumer of that phone is at a much higher risk than users with an even with or slightly lower than the bezel device. That's just my opinion it's not a fact at all but I believe real world usage will bear me out.

I first came up with this when my HTC 10 in case screen cracked for no apparent reason. It was the first phone I ever had that happened to and the first raised screen phone I've purchased.

Reactions: Daniel Fernandes
Upvote 0
Exposed glass will be more vulnerable, and the curved glass corners in particular: if it lands on a corner then all the impact is taken by that point, rather than being spread over a larger area if it lands flat or even along an edge (though if a phone lands flat and there's a piece of grit underneath it that will also concentrate the impact, it's just that exposed glass corners are an extra vulnerability). So it would be no surprise for phones with exposed glass edges to be more fragile.

However, looks sell, and once people have bought the phone it's their problem if it breaks rather than the manufacturer's. So unless "easy to break" takes hold virally and depresses sales it's not going to bother the manufacturer (any manufacturer making fragile phones, not just Samsung).

What we need is transparent aluminium. Where's Mr Scott when you need him?

Upvote 0
A screen higher than the bezel (which is common these days) means that it's more likely that the glass will take the imact in a fall. However, glass is always vulnerable: my current phone does not have that, but still has a crack on the screen after a drop (onto an uneven surface, tiny chip which then developed into a crack over the next few minutes).

Gorilla glass is primarily scratch resistant (not unscratchable - it's harder than the sort of alloy that keys and coins are made from, but there are things that can scratch it). No glass is unbreakable, and in designing the glass they have to balance hardness (scratch resistance) and flexibility (shatter resistance).

As for a plastic screen protector, it will absorb a bit of impact, though it will scratch very easily compared to the glass underneath it. It won't make the screen unbreakable though - best advice is still not to drop it.

Upvote 0
What we need is transparent aluminium. Where's Mr Scott when you need him?
Why not a solid Aluminum outer shell which contains a screen that pops out and retracts when your done.

Yeah, Manufacturer care about us breaking screens - Hell no! They're busy producing replacement screens sold at 25% of the phone at full retail. Win, Win for them.

Upvote 0
Why not a solid Aluminum outer shell which contains a screen that pops out and retracts when your done.
"Transparent aluminium" is a movie reference (Star Trek iV) - in the context of frequent discussions of glass vs aluminium for phone backs, and particularly the fragility of glass, it seemed apposite here.

You need a display that's sufficiently flexible that it can be rolled-up for your model. We aren't there yet, though people are working on them. It's considerably more plausible than transparent aluminium: metallic bonding means free conduction electrons, which are then free to interact with any frequency of electromagnetic radiation, so "transparent metal" is actually an oxymoron.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones