• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cracked Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's happened. Dropped it while I was getting something out of my purse. Everything seems to be working fine for now, but this sucks. Any recommendation on getting a new one? (phone or glass) - not really wanting to pay for a new one since I initially purchased this w/ a 2 yr plan @ 299. Grrrr...any help would be appreciated...I have multiple lines and one of my other phone is due for an upgrade, so would this work if I were to upgrade that I use the new phone towards replacing this one?

My bf is laughin at me for carrying too much in my purse and that's all the help I'm getting at this time. :mad:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 178
Well it's happened. Dropped it while I was getting something out of my purse. Everything seems to be working fine for now, but this sucks. Any recommendation on getting a new one? (phone or glass) - not really wanting to pay for a new one since I initially purchased this w/ a 2 yr plan @ 299. Grrrr...any help would be appreciated...I have multiple lines and one of my other phone is due for an upgrade, so would this work if I were to upgrade that I use the new phone towards replacing this one?

My bf is laughin at me for carrying too much in my purse and that's all the help I'm getting at this time. :mad:

im sorry this happened to you davisjen, it seems as though an insurance claim is what your going to have to do, last i remember smart phones were $99 and you get your replacement asap. its something you should check in to.

Upvote 0
im sorry this happened to you davisjen, it seems as though an insurance claim is what your going to have to do, last i remember smart phones were $99 and you get your replacement asap. its something you should check in to.

I bought the phone back when it was first launched and I didn't purchase the ins pgm. Never dropped any of my phones so I didn't think I needed it. Boy was I wrong. :(

Upvote 0
I would not get a new razr; I would use for a while (until it becomes unusable) and then get another phone. From what I've been reading; the razr screen is prone to cracking (the glass they used is too thin) and if your life style means an occasional drop then this probably not the phone for you.
-
yes every phone can crack if you drop it but some models are more robust than others.
-
What would I get as a replacement; wel that depends on how much you are willing to spend and time frame. The rezound might be an option as it is quickly dropping (price wise) and is nearly as good as the razr (biggest negative is screen washes out in bright light), Also I beieve there are a couple of 4g samsung phones that are lower spec (but cheap). The reception on them will not be as good but the screens will be amoled if that suites your taste.
-
I've dropped my phone once so far (on carpet) and it did not crack but I full expect it to crack if dropped again (I knod of hope moto would adjust the design and go with thicker glass given the current issues; but I somehow get the feeling they are not an agile company).

Upvote 0
I would not get a new razr; I would use for a while (until it becomes unusable) and then get another phone. From what I've been reading; the razr screen is prone to cracking (the glass they used is too thin) and if your life style means an occasional drop then this probably not the phone for you.
-
yes every phone can crack if you drop it but some models are more robust than others.
-
What would I get as a replacement; wel that depends on how much you are willing to spend and time frame. The rezound might be an option as it is quickly dropping (price wise) and is nearly as good as the razr (biggest negative is screen washes out in bright light), Also I beieve there are a couple of 4g samsung phones that are lower spec (but cheap). The reception on them will not be as good but the screens will be amoled if that suites your taste.
-
I've dropped my phone once so far (on carpet) and it did not crack but I full expect it to crack if dropped again (I knod of hope moto would adjust the design and go with thicker glass given the current issues; but I somehow get the feeling they are not an agile company).
I've also heard a few people who had similar problems. A few out of the thousands of people with the phone. So there might be a design/manufacturing flaw, but it's not like the phone is made of stunt breakaway glass. I'm sure the typical user has already dropped it multiple times without incident.

To the OP, have you tried getting it replaced under warranty? If it just broke internally with no external damage that is pretty clearly a defect in either design or manufacturing (you might have problems convincing Verizon about that though).

Upvote 0
If you decide to buy a use phone (ebay/criaglist) try to ensure the seller has proof of purchase. There are a lot of legit deals out there (many people do early upgrades).

Also as someone else suggested in the thread you might try to get it replaced under warranty (if you purcahsed it at verizon). This is a crap shoot as technically you dropped it but on more than one occasion they have been willing to replace it anyways. Be sure to smile and be polite and try to explain that a normal phone would not have cracked given how you 'dropped' it (give the represenative a reason to claim it was defective :) )

I thought bout keeping the phone as it is still usable, but the problem is that I can actually feel the glass when I'm using it. I have a feeling I will cut myself one of these days. Oh well, off to research for a new phone...damn, these things are expensive w/o the subsidies.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear and see that the glass cracked.

Last week I dropped my razr onto a hard tiled floor, from waist high and saw it hit the corner and then bounce a few times before it settled, so my heart sunk but I got very lucky as there was no damage, I also had the plastic case, the VZ one that has a back pop out stand and slips into the belt clip counter part, so that is what saved it.

But on a bright side there are repair parts available, priced from $90 to $260 for a service where you ship your phone and they fix and return it.

I just googled droid razr glass repair and a good amount came one, here is one of the links I saw: New Original Motorola Droid Razr Digitizer Touch Sreen Digitizer Replacement

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear and see that the glass cracked.

Last week I dropped my razr onto a hard tiled floor, from waist high and saw it hit the corner and then bounce a few times before it settled, so my heart sunk but I got very lucky as there was no damage, I also had the plastic case, the VZ one that has a back pop out stand and slips into the belt clip counter part, so that is what saved it.

But on a bright side there are repair parts available, priced from $90 to $260 for a service where you ship your phone and they fix and return it.

I just googled droid razr glass repair and a good amount came one, here is one of the links I saw: New Original Motorola Droid Razr Digitizer Touch Sreen Digitizer Replacement

Good luck.

Thank you sooo much and all other comments / suggestions. I did bring the phone in to see what they would say, and to my surprise the VZ store manager was very willing to help me (to my surprise, since it is my sucker mistake). He said he will let me know in a day. Fingers crossed, but if it doesn't work out I'll just pick up a new phone. GGGRRRR

Upvote 0
My DROID RAZR is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?

Motorola offers several convenient repair programs for Out-of-Warranty repair at a fee:

Repair Service

Fee

Display Only Repair*
$125 plus applicable taxes

Out-of-Warranty
$110 plus applicable taxes

Battery Only Replacement
$49 plus applicable taxes

Physical Damage
$159 plus applicable taxes

*Note: The Display only repair covers damage to the display or lens only.
Any repairable damage to the device outside of the display or lens would be covered under the Out Of Warranty repair fee..

The out-of-warranty flat rate fees will enable you to submit your unit online for repair at our DROID RAZR Support Site.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Upvote 0
I've had Verizon themselves tell me to do this at one point lmao. Get off your high horse.
That doesn't matter, because they aren't the ones providing insurance, Asurion is. So Verizon (or atleast their employee/s) helped you defraud Asurion. This isn't even a gray area legally, you committed a crime as did the Verizon employee/s.

Upvote 0
That doesn't matter, because they aren't the ones providing insurance, Asurion is. So Verizon (or atleast their employee/s) helped you defraud Asurion. This isn't even a gray area legally, you committed a crime as did the Verizon employee/s.
Thankfully there's such a thing as the statute of limitations!
img1.jpg

In reality though, the insurance covers everything. Wait the appropriate amount of days and then claim it on insurance, you'll be fine. If you want to be technical about it, just drop in the street or set it down somewhere busy and forget about it. This is gonna be your best bet.

Upvote 0
Hey folks,
Just wanted to let you all know that we don't need to be discussing defrauding our carriers or insurance providers here at AF. I know this wasn't the OP's intent, so I am sorry your thread went that direction. But it looks like you already got some good input before it got steered that way.

Thanks for your understanding.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones