1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Cracked Screen on Moment

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by simpat1zq, Feb 10, 2010.

1. simpat1zq

simpat1zq Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    So I got the phone yesterday, and took it apart. It was missing the motherboard, battery, and the side buttons.

So I had it almost completely apart. The only things left to take out were the AMOLED screen, and the touch screen.

But when I got to the AMOLED, I couldn't get past it, so I decided to start putting it back together, and just put the motherboard from my phone into the ebay phone. That way, I wouldn't have to take my phone apart.

And after I did that, the phone powered right up. All the functions on the phone work perfectly. And now the touch-screen is no longer cracked.

I took some pretty detailed pics. I don't have them camera on me, so I don't have access to the pictures until Monday. So I'll put the pics up next week.

If anyone has any questions on how to open the thing up, let me know.

Advertisement

2. SITH

SITH Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Nice, can't wait to see the pics...

3. Ancontr86

Ancontr86 New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Glad to see it worked out for you. I would just purchased the insurance and then cancelled it accreditation It was repaired. I've done this plenty on times and never gotten charged a deductable for taking in any phone no matter how destroyed it was. I can honestly say its been at least 8 complete phone replacements in the last 4 or 5 years. That's not including just part replacement. I guess it all depends on how strict they are at your repair center....... FYI I'm extremely clumsy

4. simpat1zq

simpat1zq Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Yeah. This was still cheaper than getting insurance. Especially if I can sell the rest of the parts that I have.

Anyone wanna buy an AMOLED screen, or a any of the other parts of the phone?

5. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Samsung Moment SPH M900 Screen Replacement Guide

http://dejaviews.org/howto/moment

I just made it, sorry about the bad photo quality(the Moment is my good camera :rolleyes:) The screen cost $28 on ebay. There's also some dick trying to charge $250 for the same part...beware.

6. simpat1zq

simpat1zq Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Hey Pyromatic, I was just going to put up my pics today, but I wasn't planning on putting notes and stuff. Let me know if you want to use my pics. They were taken with a camera, and the images came out pretty crisp.

7. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Sure, if you post them, I'll annotate them and add them in to my writeup.

8. simpat1zq

simpat1zq Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    OK. I uploaded them. You can get them from the link below. And like I said, the pics I have don't go as far as removing the LCD, but it's almost there:

Phone Pics.zip

jwelch likes this.
  9. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    jwelch, pastafarian, carpino and 2 others like this.
  10. Tallenn

Tallenn New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I was reading this thread yesterday because I also dropped my Moment (screen was totally shattered), and was looking to see what others had figured out. After looking through this thread and other places, I decided to just take it in to a service center and take my lumps.

Boy am I glad I did. Those folks over there really hooked me up. I was expecting to have to leave it there for a couple of weeks, and to pay big $ to get it fixed. When I first went in, they told me it would cost $120, but that they could fix it in 20 minutes. That was better than I expected, so I told them to go ahead.

15 minutes later, they handed it back to me, and said, "here you go. no charge." Now THAT'S what I call customer service. Mad props to Sprint, and to the nice folks at the Sprint service center I went to in Indianapolis!

The only thing that bummed me out was that while I was there, I noticed the Moment was now going for $99- I paid $169 not two months ago. Bad timing on my part, I guess.

11. mywhip

mywhip Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I paid 200 for mine in december >.>

12. Milano

Milano New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    New York
    I was reading this and thinking... why don't you just slap your wife and tell her not to drop $400 phones on the ground? That's not what I'd do.

Never been a believer in insurance for phones.. but I've never cared about my cell phone before the Moment. RZR's were a dime a dozen, and whatever I had before that... was also a dime a dozen.

I have a StarTac in my garage if you wanna just give her that?

13. numus

Nov 23, 2009
    It is about 500-650 bucks for a mango64.. More then likely they pulled the mobo out of it to create a dev board with a s3c6410 chip for cheaper then a mango64
    http://www.embeddedsource.net/attach/1/1291788673.jpg
    In case you are wondering what a mango64 is those pictures show off some things that our processor can handle :)

14. killmaxx

killmaxx New Member

May 25, 2010
    Thanks for the information and the guide. A couple of weeks ago I dropped my Moment and it just happened to hit one of the metal legs of my desk chair and hit the right spot and cracked. It actually shattered just above the infrared button and threw some large cracks across the rest of the digitizer.

I'm amazed the the phone works perfectly fine. No problems with the touchscreen what-so-ever and other than the cracks everything looks fine. The cracks aren't even that distracting. I have been worried though about slivers of glass braking off and getting it in my fingers from the shattered portion.

Thanks again, now I just have to decide if I want to save a few dollars and do it myself for go to a Sprint Repair Center.

15. qbrew

qbrew New Member

May 27, 2010
    Ok, I decided to take this on. I ordered the Digitizer, and Eagerly used the instructions above to dismantle the phone. I started to reassymble and noticed there is no adhesive on the replacement screen. The guy I bought the digitizer says they don't come with adhesive.

How did you folks get it back together. Is there a source for the adhesive? I want to make sure I get it on there good, but not soo good that I can't replace it again.

16. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    My kid dropped the phone on a rock and it shattered big time. Don't have insurance. Took it to repair center and they said that they couldn't fix it but I could get a refurbished Moment for $110 with the old phone as trade-in. Compared to the hassle of replacing the screen myself, seemed like a deal so I took it.

17. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    Hey, it's only $10 more than if you had insurance, which would be $100.

18. DCUnited*Fan

DCUnited*Fan Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Washington DC
    I did the same thing. To protect my fingers/cheeks, I went out and bought a screen protector. Works perfectly.

Now I need to decide whether to fix it myself, or not. I have 6 months left before I am elegible for a hardware upgrade, at sale prices (I am not paying full price for a phone). It would be cheaper to wait than to pay the $100 deductible.

Maybe I'll find a good deal on ebay.

19. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Even though you don't have insurance on your phones, they'll still repair it. It'll cost you though.

20. malarchuk

malarchuk New Member

Jun 3, 2010

The adhesive can be tough to find, but I just went to Office Max and bought double sided PERMANENT clear tape, yellow package. It's as thin as the adhesive that was on there and it is only about 5 dollars. It worked great and holds just like the original adhesive did.

21. carpino

carpino Member

Feb 18, 2010
    thanks a lot for your guide! i followed it and now my moment looks better than when new.

22. rahjawn

rahjawn Well-Known Member

After you get the phone fixed, invest in both a screen protector and a phone case. I've dropped my phones plenty of times. But the one time i dropped it my screen cracked (and still is) across the right side. Thanks to both protectors my screen didn't go out and the touch screen still works fine, despite the screens damage....

23. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    Just got my phone swapped out and now the screen's cracked! It was sitting on the coffee table intact charging like usual. I'm guessing that one of my kids did it, but I have no proof. They're not ones to lie about things like this, so I'm guessing either they didn't know they did it, it was one of the cats or it was hit by a cosmic screen cracking ray. It's never been dropped or scratched in the 2+ weeks I've owned it , nor were the Moments it replaced. $29 is way less than the insurance deductible. Add to that I finally got a Moment with decent gps and no lockups, so I ordered a replacement screen. Hopefully, I'll be doing surgery this weekend. Ughhhh!

24. VBJunkee

VBJunkee New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I know... old thread. I just want to give props to pyromatic and simpat1zq for the tutorial. Just swapped the screen on my Moment and couldn't have done it without you. THANKS!

25. jwelch

jwelch New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I went through the tutorial and the phone was powering on, and the screen isn't cracked any longer.... but the display is either black or grey lines through the screen like an old TV when there is no signal. So I obviously have not reconnected one piece or another correctly. Any ideas?