• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cracked screen repair

The reason this is in rooted is because I cracked my screen today and I was wondering is places will still fix it regardless of being a rooted phone. I know this is a silly question because I assume it's yes but I'm not sure.

I'm quite certain they will, however keep in mind that while you're rooted, your warranty with Virgin Mobile (or Sprint) is voided. However, if this is cause for worry, you can simply unroot and the warranty becomes valid again, and re-root after the fix has been done. You may also consider a Ballistic or Trident case for the phone, too.

Reactions: hutgap
Upvote 0
I'm quite certain they will, however keep in mind that while you're rooted, your warranty with Virgin Mobile (or Sprint) is voided. However, if this is cause for worry, you can simply unroot and the warranty becomes valid again, and re-root after the fix has been done. You may also consider a Ballistic or Trident case for the phone, too.

Thanks man, I've seen you around the forums and I really like you. You're pretty cool

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0

Actually your warranty will still be void that's an irrevocable thing...but the level of techs there don't typically know how to check the flash counter in the dev/block...Its still "technically" fraud to turn a previously rooted device in for warranty repair. If I remember the code right use adb or terminal emulator to reset the flash counter then unroot...I don't condone fraud or encourage people to do this sort of thing but anyway...

Note copy/paste this or type it VERBATIM! It can brick you if you miss type something.
su
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1 count=1 seek=3145732

Upvote 0
Actually your warranty will still be void that's an irrevocable thing...but the level of techs there don't typically know how to check the flash counter in the dev/block...Its still "technically" fraud to turn a previously rooted device in for warranty repair. If I remember the code right use adb or terminal emulator to reset the flash counter then unroot...I don't condone fraud or encourage people to do this sort of thing but anyway...

Note copy/paste this or type it VERBATIM! It can brick you if you miss type something.
su

Even if you use the unbricking method to restore the phone to out of the box condition? I would think that that would completely revert everything back to true factory settings, flash counter and root and all.

That's awesome though!

Upvote 0
Even if you use the unbricking method to restore the phone to out of the box condition? I would think that that would completely revert everything back to true factory settings, flash counter and root and all.

That's awesome though!

To the best of my knowledge the only restores that do a complete wipe of the flash counter are RUU, ODIN etc that don't use the recovery. But this method is proven. :D

Upvote 0

su

Or you can purposely brick it and sent it back to VM and say it had a defect and won't turn on anymore

Upvote 0
Or you can purposely brick it and sent it back to VM and say it had a defect and won't turn on anymore

Um, yeah--NO!

We don't roll like that here at AF.

What you are suggesting is fraud.

I think everyone should keep in-mind that their root-related efforts and actions are their responsibility and not the carriers.

Upvote 0
From my experience and from word around the forums, sprint and virgin mobile will not deny you replacement or repair for a rooted device...

Just be honest. People appreciate honesty. I wouldn't go announcing that you rooted as it's pretty irrelevant for a screen repair, but don't be fraudulent. I mean rooting didn't break your screen, and I assume that hardware warranty wouldn't void because of software changes...

One of the guides here has sent back a dozen rooted devices to virgin mobile and has never had any issues.

And according to Sprint's official policy on rooted devices, they will offer the Sam support for rooted devices though you might have to endure a lecture.

Also, note that your manufacturer warranty is not the same thing as whatever warranty you void with the various carriers. With some of the more strict carriers you may be denied replacement for root but that doesn't mean your hardware isn't still covered by the manufacturer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones