• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dan Davies

Dec 27, 2011
With my new S4, I purchased a generic cradle from eBay. It seems fine, but had a couple of issues - Will not allow even a light case; Charges slow. The slow charging is such an issue that if I am running BOINC, it will slowly discharge.

I have seen several people recommend Seidio cradles. How happy are people with them? Is charging as fast as with the straight cable? Do they handle a light case well?

Any other comments would be welcome.

Dan

I know this isn't what you asked, but I thought to advise you on it anyway. I have been using iKross Cellphone Holder to charge my phone using the stock charging cord. (It charges in landscape and portrait.) Its very portable and of quality build. If appearance isn't a factor, you might want to check it out. Also, works with my Otterbox Commuter case. If you use your phone as an alarm clock, you can check out Dock Clock Free. Once you set it up, it will start up as soon as you connect it to charger or USB. (They have a paid version too, with more features.)

I spent a total of $10 for both and can use both with future devices.

http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Univer...&keywords=ikross+cell+phone+holder+samsung+s4

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gadgetjuice.dockclock

Upvote 0
Well that is disappointing! The iKross stand is a simple easel, similar to what you can get for $1 at the Dollar Store. Although it is made so that you can put the phone on it in portrait position, it cannot be plugged in, in that mode. It really only works in landscape position, and it is easier just to prop your phone against a cup or something.

What a waste of money.

Dan

Upvote 0
Dan Davies;[URL="tel:6504174" said:
6504174[/URL]]Well that is disappointing! The iKross stand is a simple easel, similar to what you can get for $1 at the Dollar Store. Although it is made so that you can put the phone on it in portrait position, it cannot be plugged in, in that mode. It really only works in landscape position, and it is easier just to prop your phone against a cup or something.

What a waste of money.

Dan

Actually that's not true. I can charge my phone in portrait with my Otterbox Commuter case on. You have to pull the charging cord thru the bottom of the base of the cradle first, then connect your phone. Also, you will need to have the stand close to the edge of whatever its sitting on so the cord can extend straight down, since the Micro USB cable at the end can't bend. (It just take alittle more work this way.)

Upvote 0
Dan,

In general, your generic stand that charges your phone so slowly is probably a .5A charger. The stock charger for the phone is a 2A, so your are probably charging at about a quarter of what the stock does. These are all nominal currents, so the actual current that the phone charges at is less than the nominal. How does your dock charge the phone? If it uses a micro USB connection to connect to the mains, you could probably use the stock charger with the dock and it should work. If it connects directly to the mains, then you are stuck with the low amperage charger. If you try connecting the stock charger to the dock, watch it for a while to make sure the dock doesn't overheat. Most of the time these items work off of the 5V DC that the charger supplies and not the amperage, but there could be circuitry in there that doesn't mesh with the higher amperage. I have an old .5A charger in the car that cannot keep up if I am using a navigation package while driving. The new 2A car charger that I have doesn't have any problems. Don't know if this helps any.

Upvote 0
Actually that's not true. I can charge my phone in portrait with my Otterbox Commuter case on. You have to pull the charging cord thru the bottom of the base of the cradle first, then connect your phone. Also, you will need to have the stand close to the edge of whatever its sitting on so the cord can extend straight down, since the Micro USB cable at the end can't bend. (It just take alittle more work this way.)

What I need is a cradle that I can just set the phone on, with either a connector or access for a cord. Having to feed the cord through each time (and only certain cords fit), balance the phone on top of the cradle and prop the cradle at the edge of a desk does not fit that need. Maybe this cradle works for some, but it sure does not work for me!

Dan,

In general, your generic stand that charges your phone so slowly is probably a .5A charger. The stock charger for the phone is a 2A, so your are probably charging at about a quarter of what the stock does. These are all nominal currents, so the actual current that the phone charges at is less than the nominal. How does your dock charge the phone? If it uses a micro USB connection to connect to the mains, you could probably use the stock charger with the dock and it should work. If it connects directly to the mains, then you are stuck with the low amperage charger. If you try connecting the stock charger to the dock, watch it for a while to make sure the dock doesn't overheat. Most of the time these items work off of the 5V DC that the charger supplies and not the amperage, but there could be circuitry in there that doesn't mesh with the higher amperage. I have an old .5A charger in the car that cannot keep up if I am using a navigation package while driving. The new 2A car charger that I have doesn't have any problems. Don't know if this helps any.

That cradle just has a pass through connector - a female micro-USB in, with a male micro-USB out. Using the stock charger without the cradle charges fine. Connecting the stock charger to the cradle and putting the phone on the cradle slows charging to the point where it might not completely charge at all, depending upon what is running. I would not have thought that the pass through would have decreased the amperage, but apparently it does!

I have also had problems with keeping up with the drain while using the GPS.

Dan

Upvote 0
Dan Davies;[URL="tel:6508217" said:
6508217[/URL]]What I need is a cradle that I can just set the phone on, with either a connector or access for a cord. Having to feed the cord through each time (and only certain cords fit), balance the phone on top of the cradle and prop the cradle at the edge of a desk does not fit that need. Maybe this cradle works for some, but it sure does not work for me!

That cradle just has a pass through connector - a female micro-USB in, with a male micro-USB out. Using the stock charger without the cradle charges fine. Connecting the stock charger to the cradle and putting the phone on the cradle slows charging to the point where it might not completely charge at all, depending upon what is running. I would not have thought that the pass through would have decreased the amperage, but apparently it does!

I have also had problems with keeping up with the drain while using the GPS.

Dan

Ok. this may sound like a dumb question, but what's the problem charging the phone in landscape as opposed to portrait? Most people use their phone as an alarm clock or to watch movies, in which landscape gives a better view experience. (My opinion of course.)

Upvote 0
Ok. this may sound like a dumb question, but what's the problem charging the phone in landscape as opposed to portrait? Most people use their phone as an alarm clock or to watch movies, in which landscape gives a better view experience. (My opinion of course.)

I do use my phone as an alarm clock sometimes, but I use it for many more things - most of which just work better in portrait, at least for me. I am sure that it works well for some, but I do everything in portrait - which is just my preference.

This still leaves me with the problem of what cradle to get. On top of that, the great case I had ordered from China at a rockin' price never did arrive! They are refunding my money, but now I am still using my cheap temporary case.

I guess I will be perusing these forums for more ideas...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones