1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Crap....might have borked my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ledzeppelin197, May 3, 2012.

1. ledzeppelin197

So my phone got wet, not completely submerged, but fairly wet

Was fine for a bit, but then would not turn on after the screen locked, so I thought it was completely a goner, but I plugged it in via USB, and everything else is fine. All the capacitive buttons work, and the volume buttons work, but the power just doesnt bloody work!!

Help! Should I wait it out and hope it dries? (its been "drying" for about an hour now) Or do I look for a new phone?

2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert

I have heard people suggest putting electronics in a ziplock bag with white rice and letting it sit for 48 hours. The rice is supposed to absorb the liquid. Until it is dry I would not recommend connecting the power cord.

~ ArmyX

PeninaD likes this.
  3. steveo42

steveo42 Well-Known Member

+1

Saw it on a CNN science spot.
    Supposedly works well.

4. PeninaD

PeninaD Member

I've done this with my kid's Zune, worked perfectly.

5. Spydaz

Spydaz Newbie

Rice works. Did it on numerous iPhones. I dunno about a Ziploc bag I just put it in a bowl of rice on an angle. Ziploc will keep moisture in which you DON'T want.

6. srq2625

srq2625 Member

Actually, the rice is quite dry and will absorb the water. One puts the phone and the rice in a bag to keep ambient moisture from saturating the rice before it has a chance to do it's thing for the phone. This is particularly important for anyone living near the water or in the south-eastern US where, in the summer, the temperature reading and the humidity reading can easily be interchanged (95

Sharondippity likes this.
  7. rundnd

rundnd Lurker

The rice method does work.. My sons ipod accidentally was thrown in with the clothes in the washing machine. It was thoroughly soaked when it came out. I put it in a bowl with rice and it was good to go in about 5 days...

8. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Dismember

What's the verdict, dead or alive?

9. rundnd

rundnd Lurker

The ipod was working after the 5 days in the rice...

10. AlbinLee

AlbinLee Newbie

The key to the rice trick is not attempting to power on the device until completely drying. This is how the electrical components short out, as the water particles create bridges between leads that were never meant to be connected. So the fact that you attempted to power on and charge it may have fried it... but with that being said, the internal components of the Maxx are said to be "water resistant" by Motorola. So there might be hope for you yet. Just do the bag of rice trick, and whatever you do, be patient! Don't try to power on every hour.

Sharondippity likes this.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews