1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Crashing on all custom roms... need advise

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jakkix, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jakkix

jakkix Lurker

I have tried to install some custom roms on my cappy few days ago coz i hav given up on upgrading the effin offical froyo from AT&T. so far I have tried 4 of em but none of them works. :mad:
    first I installed the "leaking" froyo one click thingy from designgear, i got it to run for a while but it just random crashes at anytime. Then I tried the cognition 3.04, also got it to run but it crashes even more frequently. So I tried serendipity 5.8, I couldn't even get it to run, it just get stuck on the loading screen right after I flash it. and then I tried Phoenix 2.2.1, same shit, stuck on the loading screen.
    Anyone has a similar experience ? any advise what I can do about it? I think its unusual becoz I know there's bug for the custom roms I dun think it can crash that frequently. I already follow all procedure from the xda developer, tried with (and without) rom manger, I even doubt there might be some hardware problem with my cappy... pls help :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tallsilver

Tallsilver Newbie

Have you flashed back to stock? If not, try that and then start over. Sounds like you either did something wrong or got a bad download.

Might want to look at the how-to videos posted on XDA.

3. Tallsilver

Tallsilver Newbie

Have you flashed back to stock? If not, try that and then start over. Sounds like you either did something wrong or got a bad download.

Might want to look at the how-to videos posted on XDA.

.........and forget about Rom Manager!!

4. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

What steps are you taking to flash? You really do need to do a master clear and start fresh. Tell us what you're doing and we can go from there.

5. jakkix

jakkix Lurker

I actually tried with diff method, but basically i follow the steps from the video showed on [GUIDE] How to Install a custom ROM *NOW WITH VIDEOS* - xda-developers

procedure: flash it back to stock with odin3 "I897UCJF6-final-OCD-REV0", do "master clear", paste the clockwork recovery as update.zip and the rom, flash it

the only difference is that when I flash the cog3.04 I use the "ROM manager" for the clockwork recovery, then when I notice the crashing I flash the serendipity5.8 and phoenix2.2.1 with the clockwork recovery downloaded from the post above (i.e NO rom manager).

I dun think it can b a bad download coz I hav already tried 4 different roms...

6. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member

When you have flashed back to stock in between ROMs, did you ever see if the stock flash was giving you any problems?

7. jakkix

jakkix Lurker

nope im actually fine with Eclair... im using it right now n so far no crashes

8. jakkix

jakkix Lurker

just had another victim... perception 10.4... got it to load but already crashing when i go on the wi-fi or log in with my gmail... i dunno what's going on... fml fuk at&t fuk samsuck

9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

are you using titanium backup to restore? if so i bet you are restoring things you dont need to causing force closes

10. jakkix

jakkix Lurker

no... i use titanium backup BUT it crashes before i could do anything to da rom

11. jakkix

jakkix Lurker

tried with AIO captivate toolbox today... still not work..
    actually anyone here got a similar problem?

12. wes78

wes78 Member

Same issues. Can someone please tell me how to tell what "batch number" my phone is so I don't brick it when I reflash back to stock??

13. wes78

wes78 Member

oh and you can't connect with USB when you're stuck in landscape mode. This is all such a pain in the ass. If you can't connect with USB you can't flash back to 2.1.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews