• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Crawling 3G Speeds in Seattle

contagous

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
Seattle WA
I've always had great 3G speeds, untill this week, I haven't been able to get anything over 200kb when i'm used to getting 1-2mb...

Anyone else seeing the same results this week?, Im in the Seattle area.

I haven't installed anything recently, and when I spoke to CSR i got nothing useful... Se below:

‎"have you cleared out your Gmail recently?"

This was a comment from Verizon CSR about why my 3G was slow. Apparently if you keep more then 100 email in your online gmail account it can affect your 3G and even your ping... ROFL what do they teach these fools...

So yeah just checking to see if its only me in the area.

Thanks

Reactions: Halcyon
If that is true, I am never going to Seattle, LOL. ;)

Yeah, I am not sure what the deal is with that. I know they'll tell you to do the 288 or 228 thing, reformat the phone yada yada yada. What has gotten their attention has been when I was able to show them that an identical model in the same area was getting the same speed/drop problem.

They can see your downloads and with a little bit of attention they can figure out what your speeds have been and where you were when you were doing this. They looked at my usage and my husband's usage to confirm what I have been telling them. They elevated the issue and said that they were going to put their network team on it and a couple of days later my problem was solved.

There might be a tower issue that they are unaware of or something. In the worst case, that part of your phone might have gone tango-uniform. There are a lot of variables. I hope you can get them resolved. Back in my Droid 1 days, there was some sort of relief to be gained by rooting (it did a baseband fix or something.) I was not ready to root, so I decided to work with Verizon to get it fixed.

Your mileage with tech support may vary, I've always gotten good support.

Upvote 0
If that is true, I am never going to Seattle, LOL. ;)

Yeah, I am not sure what the deal is with that. I know they'll tell you to do the 288 or 228 thing, reformat the phone yada yada yada. What has gotten their attention has been when I was able to show them that an identical model in the same area was getting the same speed/drop problem.

They can see your downloads and with a little bit of attention they can figure out what your speeds have been and where you were when you were doing this. They looked at my usage and my husband's usage to confirm what I have been telling them. They elevated the issue and said that they were going to put their network team on it and a couple of days later my problem was solved.

There might be a tower issue that they are unaware of or something. In the worst case, that part of your phone might have gone tango-uniform. There are a lot of variables. I hope you can get them resolved. Back in my Droid 1 days, there was some sort of relief to be gained by rooting (it did a baseband fix or something.) I was not ready to root, so I decided to work with Verizon to get it fixed.

Your mileage with tech support may vary, I've always gotten good support.

They have elevated it to the network support team and hopefully will get back to me soon.

Also i know its not the phone as when i go to the tower i get great speeds, so maybe a tower problem :S, hopefully they will fix it

Upvote 0
I noticed my data speed dropping down around 400 kbps when I'm used to seeing 1800 kbps to 2500 kbps. I restarted the phone a couple times and dialed *228. The speed is sitting around 1200 kbps to 1600 kbps. So it's better but not what I'm used to. I called cs and they couldn't help me at all. :-(

Those are blazingly fast speeds holy wow.

Upvote 0
Around my home area (Seattle) I was getting 3g speeds around 1000-1200 kbps. Then mysteriously three weeks ago my 3g died in my area getting 20 kbps down and 600 kbps up. This is TERRIBLE. Ive called CS and its been elevated to networking with no resolution thusfar. Needless to say I am not happy. I was getting great speeds prior to Oct 6th. Now its total crap when im home. Vzw better do something soon to fix this.

Upvote 0
Around my home area (Seattle) I was getting 3g speeds around 1000-1200 kbps. Then mysteriously three weeks ago my 3g died in my area getting 20 kbps down and 600 kbps up. This is TERRIBLE. Ive called CS and its been elevated to networking with no resolution thusfar. Needless to say I am not happy. I was getting great speeds prior to Oct 6th. Now its total crap when im home. Vzw better do something soon to fix this.

Same happend to me in Ballard/Seattle WA, away from my home i get 1.5 mb but at home only 50-200kk or something, Also told CSR and they are looking into it and have made a network report, will post outcome when i can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones