• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Crazy oversharpened photos?

dr g

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
www.droidtiles.com
I'm getting some very odd behavior from the camera of my SO's Hero, this is a 200 iso image. Reduced version below plus a 100% crop. It seems to exhibit massive oversharpening or almost like some filter applied. As far as I can tell there are no such things being applied. Anyone see this before?

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 68
  • cranecrop.jpg
    cranecrop.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 71
Wow. I've never messed with the sharpness on a camera like that, but i kinda like the way the picture looks. It's good to know how to do that in the future if i want to add a cool effect. Thanks, even though that wasn't your intention lol.

i'd actually be curious to know whether you get similar results. I notice the effect is most pronounced in low light.

Upvote 0
*goes to try*

Hey does that picture you took the picture of have just bare canvas or does it have like a glass covering or anything?

... :-\ So I use camera zoom FX and i can't even find a "sharpness" setting on it. I Opened the stock camera app and here are the results with a +1 sharpness

The first pic is at 1M res, the second is at 5M res, the 1M res seems to add the effect alot more than the 5M res. The only setting i changed was the res so maybe higher res pics wont show it as well normally? I dunno. I normally use the 1M res because whenever i take pics in 3 or 5M it asks me to resize them anyways before i send them to people... Damn things are huge!

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
... :-\ So I use camera zoom FX and i can't even find a "sharpness" setting on it. I Opened the stock camera app and here are the results with a +1 sharpness...
I've tried all of the market camera apps since November, looking for one that takes better pics than the stock 1.5 camera app, and I've never found one...in fact, nothing I found was even as good in terms of picture quality as the stock app. And when 2.1 came out, the new stock camera was worlds better than the 1.5 camera in terms of taking clear and sharp pictures.

So if you're looking for the best picture quality, then get rid of the zoom FX, and set the stock app for 5M and sharpness on -1, ISO on 200 and blaze away. Those are the settings that I use, and I'm a happy camper! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones