1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Crazy question about Google Maps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Evo4sickness, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Evo4sickness

Evo4sickness Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    OK havent been on here in while I just tried today to use google maps after installing CM7 a couple of months ago. And first thing I noticed was that Google maps when I enter an adress isnt giving me the turn by turn driving directions with speach. Just gives me the white screen with the driving directions. I looked it up on google and havent found anything. And I tried to see if I need to change something in the setting but nothing. Anybody no a fix to this.

I have to add Iam not using the GPS right long story short I need a 32gig sd to make a nandroid to back to my original htc rom and do the gps fix.

But Iam using google maps with the data which it should be able to still give me the speach turn by turn when I put in the star and end point. Thanks

Advertisement

2. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Right. The Maps app won't give you spoken turn-by-turn driving directions. You need to use the Navigation app to get that. Both apps are based on Google's online maps, but do different things.

Evo4sickness likes this.
  3. Evo4sickness

None

Dec 1, 2010
    Ok thats crazy didnt know that so its an add on but that crazy because I thught it was suppsosed be part of googlw mas. I just looked for it on the market and I get is godogle maps. I have version 5.4.1 which not that far updated.

4. Darkseas

None

Jan 10, 2011
    My fault. I wasn't very clear. It's part of maps, but shows up as a separate app in your list of apps -- as "Navigation." Look for a blue arrowhead pointing up.

Also, when you pull up those directions in maps, there's an icon that says "navigate" that puts you into the navigation app. Look for the icon in the upper right corner of the screen near the address to which you want to go.

5. Evo4sickness

None

Dec 1, 2010
    Yeah what I thought but still could not get it and could not find the arrow.

6. Evo4sickness

None

Dec 1, 2010
    Just checked in my apps dont have it.

7. Darkseas

None

Jan 10, 2011
    Is your version of maps 5.7.0? There have been a lot of updates. If you don't have the current version, download it from the Android Market.

8. Evo4sickness

None

Dec 1, 2010
    Yeah I just did that and geto the right menu but wont work without GPS that was the problem try it on.yours without you will see what I mean.

9. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Of course it won't. Nav apps have no idea where you are without GPS. GPS is the only method of determining your location that has enough accuracy (down to ~3m) to determine which street you're on. The margin of error for other methods is far too large. I've seen tower triangulation off by 2km or more, depending on the towers (it's worse in rural areas).

The white screen sounds like a data issue to me. The white should be the downloaded map data.

You can get text directions but you won't get voice prompts for the reason I mentioned above.

You need 32GB to make a backup? I've never heard of anyone needing that much space for a single nandroid backup.

Can you not temporarily clear space on your current SD card to resolve your GPS problem?

10. Evo4sickness

None

Dec 1, 2010
    Yeah thanks its the gps and about white background I was talking about ita the normal non navigation back ground. And about the Sd card I dont need that much but cant free up space on my 8 gig and want pf course now get the 32 gig.

11. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    1) Move some files from SD card to computer.
    2) Make backup.
    3) Move backup file to computer.
    4) Restore files from computer to SD card in step 1

:thinking:

12. Evo4sickness

None

Dec 1, 2010
    Would have already done if it my comps Usb were working like I said long story short.

13. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Seems like you have an awful lot of "problems" with things. I'm not sure how a larger SD card is going to help you. How do you plan to transfer the files on your current 8GB card to the new card after you buy it?