• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Create playlists on PC, and copy to Droid? Where are Droid created playlists stored?

I just followed all your logic and while browsing my Android folders in win 7 via USB, I right clicked a song and created an Android playlist (.pla) in that folder, I then clicked that playlist and it opens on your desktop. I then went back to browsing and I can drag n drop songs into that open window. When finished by clicking OK in the window, I moved the *.pla file to the Playlist Folder on my Android. I now can create any playlist too easily lol

EDIT* It is easier to copy/paste and renaming an existing .pla file in your Playlist Folder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likewise, I followed the instructions above for creating a '.pla' and then dragging songs into the reference tab. Success, thank you! I can't believe how little advice is out there for android playlist managment on the pc/laptop. But well...now I hit a snag. I originally created one playlist as a test two days ago and now I'm trying to add NEW songs to this already existing playlist. I'm following the same process as before and I see both the old and newly added songs saved in the reference tab of the '.pla'. However, my player isn't reflecting the newly added songs. What am I doing wrong? I assumed the player (in my case, Rocketplayer) would sync the playlist changes automatically and that is apparently not the case.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I dread having to recreate the playlist from scratch every time I want to add a few new songs. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I found this thread by googling how to do this.
Just wanted to add that in the meantime I found an easier way.
I just tried doing this in MediaMonkey and it was a piece of cake.
I just created a playlist in the MediaMonkey app and when my phone is connected it showed up in the device list.
I selected the device and there are options for autosyncing (syncing that will happen every time you plug the device in).
I deselected everything except that particular playlist I created, hit the Apply and AutoSync button and that's all there was to it.
In Play Music on the phone, the playlist shows up.

Pretty cool stuff.

I don't know if the free version of MediaMonkey does this. I bought a license several year ago mainly for the ID3 tagging and format conversion (FLAC to MP3) abilities

Actually, after looking it up here it looks like the free version has that capability as well.

Upvote 0
I have playlists in WPL on my computer. I converted them to M3U. Tried to copy one from the computer to a playlists directory on my phone's SD card. File refuses to copy. Funny thing is, I've been copying MP3s from my computer to my phone all day without problem. So what might be the problem here?

Oh, yeah, and I'm running Pi Music Player. There are about a dozen playlists in Pi; d@mned if I can find them. There's a playlists directory on my phone proper. It has two, and only two, PLA files. Confusing.

Upvote 0
I have playlists in WPL on my computer. I converted them to M3U. Tried to copy one from the computer to a playlists directory on my phone's SD card. File refuses to copy. Funny thing is, I've been copying MP3s from my computer to my phone all day without problem. So what might be the problem here?

Oh, yeah, and I'm running Pi Music Player. There are about a dozen playlists in Pi; d@mned if I can find them. There's a playlists directory on my phone proper. It has two, and only two, PLA files. Confusing.

The following issue seems similar to yours and the solution was to use BlackPlayer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/a0edmc/use_m3u_music_playlist_on_android/

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I hope that GameTheory has given a good solution. My only thought is that this thread is in the Motorola Droid (A855) section and have to wonder how many folks are still actually using that phone? I mean very soon, we will be seeing the ten year anniversary of the release of that game changing phone.

Just checked the play store and neither blackplayer or poweramp support such an old android version. So the user is SOL.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones