1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Create virtual memory from an SD card? An Easy way

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by trekleech, Jan 9, 2014.

1. trekleech

trekleech Member
    None

Nov 23, 2012
    Male
    CA - Toronto, USA -Boston
    Hi is there a simple way for noobs to create virtual memory on your SD card.

My phone has limited RAM, and I have a 16GB SD so I was wondering if it's possible with a rooted phone.

And if its simple enough, I'm not the smartest kid on the block. :D

If you need to know the tech of phone its a Huawei Viatria

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Short answer to this one - no.

You could probably rewrite the kernel to do it, but the card wouldn't last long. SD cards are designed to be storage - you put a file there and it sits there for a long time, maybe being read, maybe not. Constantly writing to an SD card - which is what happens if you use it as VM - will destroy it quickly. Assuming a well-made card (like a SanDisk), the limiting life factor is the number of writes. And virtual memory gets written to a lot.

The only real solution to a phone with limited RAM is money - buying a phone with more RAM. Or waiting until phones are more like desktops and we can add parts at will. (Or are they going to start making desktops more like phones and not let us get inside them?)

trekleech and Crashdamage like this.
  3. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 24, 2013
    Male
    Just to add.My GT5830i is,"Old Hat" technology wise and has limited storage space so discipline is paramount.To this end I rooted my phone and use links2SD to move those parts it can of apps to the SD card(32gig) and also to,"Freeze" rarely used apps that I don't need all the time like Google Play etc and only enable them when required.
    I also only update my apps if there's a problem with them or via a free Wi-Fi Hot-spot.
    I also use ESfile manager's app manager to back up my downloaded apps/apks and uninstall apps I don't need all the time but still have them available when required.
    Doing this saves my limited data plan by not having to re-download apps and I can have hundreds of apps available to me anytime I need them but not taking up running resources.
    Note:I use CWM(Clockwork Mod Recovery) to make a,"Nandroid" back up and copy the contents of my SD card to my Laptop.

HTH :)