1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Created Group Text Unintentionally

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Slothfulsins, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Slothfulsins

Slothfulsins Lurker

Good afternoon,

I sent a picture to a few friends of mine, a group of 7 people, with the intention of just sharing a photo of something I saw in the news. However, when I sent the MMS it turned the conversation into a group chat. I cannot control the chat, remove anyone, nor can I even find a list where this is happening from. On top of that anyone in the group is receiving these messages from all the other contacts in the group. While it would be as simple as blocking each other I have some family members in the group and privacy concerns come up in this regard.

It almost looks to me like i am receiving messages and my phone then redirects them to the other people in the list. After searching for the groups option I discovered there is no groups I can leave, kick, or remove myself from or other.

My phone is a Galaxy S5 Neo running on Android version 7.0; SE version is 8.1; If anyone has any idea how to remove myself or others from this "group text" I would really appreciate the effort and time you can spare.

Thank you,
    Mitchell

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Can you delete the conversation? Suggest that people stop responding to it?

Perhaps most importantly, which message app are you using? Someone familiar with that app might be able to figure out what happened.

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

The norm when sending a group text or photo is everyone in that message can reply, send, and everyone will receive it.
    Rules are out the window so beware.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Most apps have 2 options for group messages: if sent as MMS it's as you say, as SMS it's all replies go only to the original sender.

Here in the UK SMS are effectively free to almost everyone, but MMS are not, and most providers really gouge you for sending them. Therefore nobody i know uses group MMS - if you want to send group messages you use WhatsApp or similar.

Dannydet likes this.